MBTA suspends “pay your fare, it’s only fair” message

As of this weekend, the “Pay your fare, it’s only fair” message that once played on all above-ground Green Line stops was suspended due to customer complaints. PHOTO BY ADRIANA DIAZ/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

After numerous complaints from transit riders and Boston residents, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority suspended the pre-recorded announcement “pay your fare, it’s only fair” at the end of last week, according to MBTA Spokesperson Jason Johnson.

The on-board announcement, which aimed to reduce the number of non-paying riders, received criticism from riders and residents in close proximity to T stations because of the announcement’s frequency and volume, Johnson wrote in an email.

However, Johnson wrote that fare collection remains a pressing issue as the MBTA faces a substantial deficit.

“During recent public comment period on the fare structure, the T heard repeatedly that there has to be a more intense focus on fare collection,” Johnson wrote. “This is something we take seriously.”

“Pay your fare, it’s only fair” was introduced at the beginning of last week as a “friendly reminder” to riders, The Daily Free Press reported Thursday.

Johnson wrote that fare collection has been a complicated issue to enforce. With the Transit Police, the MBTA has conducted more than 60 fare blitzes in the past three years.

“Fare collection has always been a challenge on the Green Line, because of the desire to both collect fare, but at the same time move service along at a steady pace,” Johnson wrote. “Efforts to collect fares are enhanced by assigning officials to platforms during peak periods at high volume stations.”

Johnson wrote in the email that the MBTA would reprogram and individually adjust the entire fleet’s communications system.

“The messages, in their current form, will be suspended while the T develops an alternative,” Johnson wrote in the email.

Transportation for Massachusetts Policy Director Charlie Ticotsky said the pre-recorded announcement was “a good sentiment,” as it signifies the necessity for riders to pay their fares.

“With less crowding on the train, we tend to have less fare evasion because the train is really crowded,” Ticotsky said. “It’s really easy to hawk on the back. If we increase the capacity of our system, that can have an effect.”

Several Boston residents expressed displeasure over the announcements’ frequency and volume, but suggested improved enforcements for paying fares.

Anon Silpavuthi, 24, of Allston, said fare evasion has become inevitable amid crowdedness.

“Honestly, it drove me crazy,” he said. “I think it’s a good idea [to suspend it] … I don’t think everyone intentionally avoids their fare. Not everyone who didn’t scan avoided their fare. It is extremely packed, especially in the morning.”

Gavin Sheehan, 19, of Brighton, said the MBTA should boost security in order to avoid fare evasion.

“If [the announcement] bothers people, I get it and I’m not too keen on it either,” he said. “I guess [the MBTA needs] more security, or not opening the back door that often.”

Aaron Waldman, 24, of Brighton, said even though he finds the slogan annoying, the MBTA needs more resources to fight against fare evasion.

“The slogan is very irksome, meant for kindergarteners,” he said. “I would say it pisses people off. It’s tough because the setup makes it easy for people to slip on and off, and it’s not really worth the money to get employees to monitor people doing that.”