Top 10 study spots on campus

If you want to study for a quiz with friends, hunker down for several hours to pass a cumulative final exam or just finish reading a book that has sat on your shelf for weeks, BU offers a variety of intriguing study locations on campus (other than your dorm). Here are a few of The Daily Free Press staff’s favorite on-campus study locations:

1. Top floor of 33 Harry Agganis Way: On the 26th floor of StuVi2, you can find large floor-to-ceiling windows with view of Boston’s mesmerizing skyline. This quiet study location is ideal, though upperclassmen tend to claim this residential study area as their own. However, it’s worth a shot to wait and snatch an empty study desk to experience a view like that.

How to get there: Take the BU Shuttle to StuVi2 or take the MBTA Green Line to Pleasant Street.

1. BU Beach: The BU Beach is located behind Marsh Plaza adjacent to the Charles River. Crowds of students congregate here on warm sunny days to take in some Vitamin D. If you plan on studying at this outside paradise (which has Wi-Fi access!), make sure to pack a pair of sunglasses and a beach towel for a true BU Beach experience.

Take the BU Shuttle to Marsh Plaza or the Green Line to BU Central.

PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
  1. Warren Towers Study Rooms: If you’re living in Warren Towers and it’s freezing out, you can pretty much get away with only leaving Warren for classes. Students can eat, sleep, and study without going down the escalator and walking out the doors of 700 Commonwealth Ave. If you don’t enjoy studying in your dorm room, there are plenty of hidden study rooms throughout the residency. A popular one is located on the fourth floor by the C Tower laundry room.

Take the BU Shuttle to Silber Way or Blanford Street or take the Green Line to BU East.

PHOTO BY CLINTON NGUYEN/ DFP FILE PHOTO
PHOTO BY CLINTON NGUYEN/ DFP FILE PHOTO
  1. Mugar Memorial Library: It may seem obvious to recommend the library on a list of ideal study locations, but many students don’t realize how expansive Mugar really is. For talkative students hoping to score a date with a fellow classmate, the open group study areas are located on the lower floors, and the PAL Study Lounge is on the third floor.

1. Top floor of the Kilachand Hall: This large residency located on the Bay State Road has a perfect panoramic view of East Campusthe Charles River and downtown Boston. The ninth floor of Kilachand has diverse areas of study that can accommodate any student. From comfy couches for weekend movies to secluded rooms for intense studying, Kilachand’s view and atmosphere is a hit for students.

Take the BU Shuttle to Myles Standish Hall or Hotel Commonwealth or take the Green Line to Kenmore Square.

1. Pavement Coffeehouse at 736 Commonwealth Ave.: Pavement Coffeehouses are scattered across the greater Boston area, but the one on Commonwealth Avenue is an ideal stop for students wanting to quickly study before or between classes. The scrumptious menu and decent Wi-Fi lures in students who want an unconventional but cool study location.

Take the BU Shuttle to St. Mary’s Street or the Green Line to BU Central.

1. The Fresh Food Company at Marciano Commons: Located at 100 Bay State Rd., this newly renovated dining hall is known colloquially “Bay State” or #BaeState. Compared to the other dining halls on campus, which are often packed, Bay State has ample seating, and you won’t be frowned upon for eating or studying alone. Pro tip: If you swipe in in the morning, you can stay, eat, and study all day long, and it’ll just count as one meal off your dining plan.

Take the BU Shuttle to Myles Standish Hall or Hotel Commonwealth or take the Green Line to Kenmore.

1. Back Court of the George Sherman Union: Though this location may not be as quiet as it’s next-door neighbor Mugar Memorial Library, it does have its benefits. Students studying in the Back Court have access to comfy booths, large windows and of course the variety of dining options in the GSU.

1. The back room of The Fresh Food Company at West Campus: Those living in West Campus often appreciate the quietness of the back room of the West Campus dining hall. Taking out a book or some flashcards to study is totally appropriate as you finish eating.

Take the BU Shuttle to StuVi2. 

1. The Frederick S. Pardee Management Library in the Questrom School of Business: Finding a cubicle to work at during the semester is easy at the library in Questrom, though it does tend to become more popular during finals period. However, the nearby Starbucks will make fighting for a cubicle worthwhile.

Take the BU Shuttle to Silber Way or the Green Line to BU East.

PHOTO BY CLINTON NGUYEN/ DFP FILE PHOTO
PHOTO BY CLINTON NGUYEN/ DFP FILE PHOTO