Softball, Sports

Softball drops doubleheader, losing streak extends to eight

The BU softball team has now lost eight straight games and 11 of its last 12. PHOTO BY BRIGID KING/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University softball team dropped both games in a doubleheader to the University of Massachusetts Amherst on Tuesday by scores of 6-4 and 3-1. The series was supposed to take place in Boston, but was moved to Amherst due to rain on the BU softball field.

“The change of location did not really affect us that much,” said BU (8-20, 0-3 Patriot League) head coach Ashley Waters. “It actually helped us because we were able to play as much as we can, and it allows us to work out the kinks that we have.”

In the first game, freshman pitcher Kali Magane made her team-leading 12th start on mound for the Terriers. She lasted 5.2 innings while giving up six runs (one earned run), six hits and three walks while striking out one. She ultimately took the loss to bring her season record to 4-8.

On the other side, freshman Candace Denis picked up the win for UMass (8-14). She pitched five innings while surrendering three runs (two earned) and struck out three. Infielder Melissa Garcia carried the load offensively for the Minutewomen with two hits and two RBI.

For the Terriers, junior outfielder Jilee Schanda got the Terriers on the board in the fourth inning with a solo home run, her first of the season. She also added another RBI with a single in the fifth inning. The additional run was driven in by sophomore infielder Alexa Ponce in the sixth.

The later game was highlighted by a pitchers duel between senior Makinna Akers and junior Meg Colleran. Akers pitched a complete game and gave up three runs (one earned). Her season record now stands at 4-6 with a team-best 3.52 ERA.

Waters was happy with Akers’ performance, but stressed that the rest of the team needs to step up.

“Makinna did a good job,” Waters said. “She set the tone like a senior is supposed to do. She was able to keep the runs down. She really stepped up and she needs to continue to keep shutting teams down like she has. Hopefully our offensive can eventually turn it on and start to help her out. We can’t afford to give teams extra outs. We kept making mistakes.”

Offensively, the Terriers did not get a run until the sixth inning when sophomore catcher Alex Heinen hit into a fielder’s choice, which scored BU’s lone run in the 3-1 loss. Heinen is now tied for first on the team with 17 RBI.

Colleran also pitched a complete game, but came out on top in the end, giving up just five hits and one run. After her gem of a game on Tuesday, Colleran’s record stands at 4-8.

Infielder Kaitlyn Stavinoha led the way offensively, knocking in a run in the sixth inning. In addition to Stavinoha, Garcia and freshman Nicole Imhof added RBIs for UMass.

Defense played an important part in this series, with the Terriers committing five errors that led to seven unearned runs for the Minutewomen. On the flip side, the Minutewomen committed two errors in the first game that led to one unearned for the Terriers.

The Terriers are back in action this weekend with a weekend series against University of Maine at home, which is a three-game set with one on Saturday and two on Sunday. However, there is a discouraging forecast of precipitation on Friday and Saturday that could ruin playing conditions at the BU softball field.

“We’re always excited to play,” Waters said. “Hopefully the rain and the snow subsides — the weather has not been good this season. We have not played on our field except for that one game against Bryant [University]. We’ll do our best to get our field ready to play and hopefully we get those games in.”