Holy Cross gives BU women’s soccer its 300th win, 3-0

Sophomore midfielder McKenna Kennedy in a match against Lehigh University Saturday. She recorded a shot against Holy Cross as the Terriers went on to win 3-0. VIVIAN MYRON/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s soccer team claimed its 300th win in program history Wednesday in a 3-0 shutout against the College of the Holy Cross.

The win also continued the Terriers’ (3-7-2, 2-0-1 Patriot League) unbeaten streak against conference opponents this season.

BU head coach Nancy Feldman focused on what the win meant for the team.

“It’s a special moment for them,” Feldman said. “It’s a special moment in the program’s history that they have their hands on, and it’s theirs … we didn’t slink into the 300th, we did it with a lot of enthusiasm.”

Sophomore forward Anna Heilferty scored her first back-to-back goals in the match, earning her the title as the Turnpike Trophy MVP.

Eight players recorded shots against Holy Cross (3-7, 1-2 Patriot League), with Heilferty leading the charge with six, tying the season-best she put up against American University Sept. 16.

By the end of the match, the Terriers outshout the Crusaders 18-8.

BU started its offensive push early, getting off three shots before Holy Cross goalkeeper Sophia Lettieri was forced to make her first save in the 11th minute.

Heilferty continued her attack, and a quick move around a Crusader defender allowed her to open scoring for the night at the 23rd minute.

The Terriers would find their sixth shooting opportunity before Holy Cross got its first when sophomore midfielder Jenna Barnes forced freshman goalkeeper Morgan Messner to make her first save of the night in the 32nd minute.

The team was producing quality opportunities, Feldman stated.

“I think the kids really trusted the process of possession and being a little more patient, a little more poised,” Feldman said. “When you do that, you’re able to open up the other team and get better opportunities.”

Coming back from halftime, BU doubled its shot production from the first half.

Heilferty waited less than two minutes in the second half before forcing Lettieri back into action.

The 49th minute started with Heilferty taking a corner kick which generated two shots within the minute from sophomore midfielder McKenna Kennedy and senior defender Chelsea Churchill, whose attempt was on-goal.

Heilferty kept on the ball, putting a shot too high then heading in her second goal off an intercepted cross from senior defender Libby Closson.

In the 58th minute, senior forward McKenna Doyle found space to knock in her second goal of the season.

After 24 more minutes of play, junior goalkeeper Emma Heil made her second appearance of the season, making her lone save of the game in the 85th minute on an attempt from Crusader midfielder Lily Puccia.

Despite the offensive showing, Feldman expressed her approval of the team’s defensive play and communication.

“It doesn’t all come together in a snap,” Feldman said. “I thought tonight there was some sophistication of the team coordination, and that takes some time because some of the kids haven’t been playing here for four years.”

The win made for the Terriers’ ninth straight against Holy Cross and widened the goal differential to 16-1.

It also meant that, since Feldman oversaw the team’s transition from a club team to a Division I NCAA squad, Wednesday night was Feldman’s 300th win with BU.

Under her guidance, the team has won 12 conference regular season titles in its 24-year existence, nine while in American East and another three after joining the Patriot League in 2013.

In 2015, the team earned the spot of No. 1 seed in the Patriot League for the first time in its history and made a push in the NCAA tournament, advancing past St. John’s University before falling to the future champions of Pennsylvania State University.

The team most recently made an appearance in the Patriot League semifinals last season, during which Feldman also guided former graduate student Rachel Bloznalis to back-to-back Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year titles and a then-freshman Heilferty to Rookie of the Year.

For Feldman, she said her pride lies in the team.

“This team is representing the standards and the values of the program incredibly well,” Feldman said. “What makes me most proud is that they are carrying on a lot of the traditions and traits that have made this program very strong.”