BU service workers and administration reach contract agreement, avoid strike

Boston University service workers rally Tuesday ahead of the Oct. 31 deadline to negotiate their contracts with the school. A tentative agreement was struck hours after the deadline, averting a strike. SOPHIE PARK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston University building service workers reached a tentative contract agreement with the university Thursday that will ensure wage increases and healthcare benefits.

The agreement comes after multiple rallies and BU workers voting to authorize a strike if contract negotiations were not settled by Wednesday at midnight. BU service workers agreed to call off the strike due to the contract settlement, which occurred hours after the deadline, according to a press release from 32BJ Service Employees International Union, the union that represents BU’s service workers.

The workers’ bargaining committee and BU administration’s tentative agreement ensures wage increases of 2.75 percent in the first year and 2.5 percent in subsequent years, according to the press release. BU also agreed to address safety concerns raised by service workers during negotiations with a safety consultant.

BU spokesperson Colin Riley said the university will not be discussing details of the agreement until after the contract is presented to members of the union for ratification, which he said is expected to take place early next week.

BU students and faculty joined the workers in support at a rally Tuesday, where Boston City Councilor At-Large Ayanna Pressley spoke in support of the union.

32BJ SEIU Vice President Roxana Rivera said in the press release that the agreement is a victory for BU service workers.

“The last few weeks have shown B.U. workers that they have the support of the campus community and the new contract will provide a wage increase and quality affordable healthcare that will further protect workers on the job and help them support their own families,” she said.

Jenna Manto contributed to the reporting of this article.