Massachusetts feels economic impact of combating opioid crisis

A recent report found that the opioid crisis cost the Massachusetts workforce $2.7 billion a year in lost productivity. COURTESY OF K-STATE RESEARCH AND EXTENSION/ FLICKR

The opioid epidemic is significantly affecting the economy of Massachusetts, losing at least $2.5 billion annually due to lost productivity in the workforce, according to a report released Wednesday by the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation.

The report also found that, on average, in companies with 1,000 workers, about 42 misuse painkillers.

The Massachusetts healthcare industry is also dealing with high costs related to the epidemic, having spent an estimated 4.5 billion dollars in 2017. The report stated that the epidemic is getting worse, due to the rise of fentanyl-related deaths: in 2017 alone, approximately 2,000 Massachusetts residents died as a result of opioids.

The report was funded by RIZE Massachusetts, a nonprofit focused on ending the opioid epidemic in Massachusetts and helping affected individuals. RIZE Executive Director Julie Burns wrote in an email that RIZE funded the report to show the widespread implications of the opioid epidemic.

“Many people are touched personally by this disease, whether they struggle themselves or have a family member or friend with opioid use disorder,” Burns wrote. “What we see from this report, is that people are struggling at work or are not participating in the workforce at all. This has an effect on businesses and the economy, and it’s important to know the extent of the crisis, and respond at that scale.”

Burns explained that the report shows the effect the opioid crisis has on state and municipal budgets and thus could prompt the state government and organizations to further act on the epidemic.

“We hope this reports encourages public private partnerships to reverse the trend of increased costs,” Burns wrote, “and ultimately come together to adopt best practices for employees in government and business, address stigma, and encourage treatment that can save lives.”

Elissa Snook, media relations manager for MassHealth, wrote in an email that in Massachusetts, opioid-related overdose deaths declined 4 percent overall in 2017, compared to 2016. Snook also wrote that new opioid prescriptions are down nearly 30 percent since the creation of the statewide prescription monitoring program.

“Massachusetts has taken a comprehensive approach to addressing the opioid epidemic that focuses on prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery,” Snook wrote.

Leslie Boden, a professor in Boston University’s School of Public Health, said he thinks that while the new information about the economic impact of the opioid epidemic might be important to know, the effect the epidemic has on people should be the primary focus.

“The opioid epidemic affects not only productivity from the employer’s perspective, but it can affect people’s ability to work,” Boden said. “They can lose their jobs and can find it hard to find another job.”

Boden said he is not sure whether taking the economic effects of the opioid crisis into account should change the approach officials take to addressing the epidemic.

“We should be looking for every way that we can help not get people to be addicted to opioids and get them off opioids if they are addicted,” Boden said, “if it costs another million dollars or not.”

Bruce Kasrel, 52, of Natick, said he thinks people have not yet realized the urgency of the opioid epidemic in Massachusetts.

I certainly think it would be important for public officials to articulate the financial draw as well as the healthcare crisis that it is,” Kasrel said, “and be really clear to say that this is not isolated.”

Sarah Lafaille, 27, of Brookline, said the government should directly reach out to people affected by the epidemic.

“It would be nice to get some art or recreational activities for them,” Lafaille said of the people dealing with addiction.

Anthony Watkis, 30, of Brighton, said he sees the effect of the epidemic on the streets.

“I have seen people up and down Mass. Ave. near the hospitals, more towards Dorchester,” Watkis said. “So, I can see how it has negatively impacted the city in the sense.”

Mia Cathell contributed to the reporting of this story.