World of Literati: Libraries are older than books  

Growing up, I only occasionally went to the library because the nearest branch was very small. However, during my gap semester, I got a job at a larger library and joined the book club. During this time, I realized how important libraries are to communities as well as individuals.

The aim of public libraries is to protect people’s access to information. Library archives are more than just old books. They are teeming with all kinds of information. People can research politics, business, arts, music, world history, religion, science and so much more. The possibilities are endless, especially now with our technological resources.

In having access to tons of information, libraries can highlight the histories of marginalized groups. Book displays filled with themed groups can discuss a certain topic. This allows for people to be exposed to different histories and backgrounds.

Patrons can also peruse DVDs, magazines and newspapers. There are also works of fiction to explore, which allows patrons to entertain themselves. Also available are graphic novels, comics, audiobooks and manga, which allows people to be exposed to fiction in different formats.

The library also does a great service to its non-English speaking patrons. Public libraries collect books in various foreign languages, such as Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Polish, German, French and Creole. This helps non-English speakers see themselves represented in their communities.

Libraries also provide access to the internet and printers. For some people, this is a luxury they can’t afford. Many libraries offer classes that teach technological skills and resumé building, which can help adults increase their job prospects.

Libraries also provide immigrants helpful information to engage with their new communities. For example, The New York Public Library offers ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) classes as well as legal assistance and financial counseling for people interested in becoming citizens.

The Elizabeth Public Library in New Jersey works in conjunction with the courts to allocate a space in the library where patrons can get a city ID.

Public libraries provide support for local artists. For instance, there is an art gallery at the Newton Free Library in Massachusetts. Many libraries also provide art classes, book clubs and film showings, which encourage an appreciation of the arts.  

Many libraries have information, resources and events cater to the LGBTQ+ community. The Elizabeth Public Library hosted a “Love is Love” event in February for teens that included a dance, karaoke and crafts as an alternative to traditional Valentine’s Day events.    

There are also several resources directed toward teenagers, such as tutoring, homework help, summer reading programs and volunteer opportunities. These same types of programs are available for younger children, as well.

Coming to libraries can be an important part of a child or teen’s development. They are encouraged to read. This may lead to the development of a passionate lifelong hobby in addition to an improvement in students’ writing skills. They are also able to meet different types of people and form new connections.

While the library may have the reputation of being a dull place, there are several events that are not academically oriented and appeal to various interests. Many libraries have sing-along and story time events for children. The Framingham Public Library in Massachusetts has a video game hangout and AniManga club march for teenagers.

In essence, libraries contribute to our community in much greater ways than most people realize. They are safe spaces where we can learn and grow as people and create thoughtful communities. It’s a shame that libraries go unappreciated and underused, and we should all work toward making people aware of all that their public libraries have to offer.

1. I love it ! Very interesting article

2. It’s true ,the library is a very important place in ours lifes