World of Literati: Romance does not have to be a corny or contrived element in a story

Romance is in virtually every book, movie and TV show. It has practically become a requirement for basic storytelling. However, there is a lot of judgment made regarding romance in books and especially toward novels dedicated solely to romance.

Romance does not have to be a corny or contrived element in a story. Love plays an important role in most of our lives and should be included in novels. For those who do not have much experience with romance, reading about romantic relationships can shape their perception of what a healthy relationship is.

In the novels I like to read, there are multiple avenues through which romance can take place. A favorite of mine is the “friends-to-lovers” storyline. Starting a relationship as best friends is typically indicative of a deeper connection and sets a solid foundation for a healthy and safe romance.

Another manner in which romance occurs is through a “slow burn” — when a romance methodically plays out over the course of a series. It’s also commonly known as the “will they, won’t they?” trope.

The slow burn can become predictable as readers anticipate the couple will be together by the end of a series, but watching the relationship form can still be satisfying and suspenseful. It also makes the story feel more realistic if the relationship develops naturally rather than the characters falling in love immediately.

When romance is present in a story, it is important to have other platonic relationships and plot lines such as familial relationships, friendships and careers. It’s beneficial to the story to see that the character has a life outside of romance even if it is the center of the story.

Romance is also an opportunity to showcase diverse LGBTQ relationships. It is valuable to portray LGBTQ relationships because it allows people from the LGBTQ community to see themselves represented in characters. It also exposes people outside of the LGBTQ community to different types of relationships and the tribulations that they face.

Part of romance is the physical element, which should be detailed to a certain extent depending on the intended age of the audience. Including sexual encounters in books makes that aspect of romantic relationships seem normal and healthy and can be informational, especially for books targeted toward teenagers.

All books tailored to romance shouldn’t be considered frivolous reads. While the goal may not be to challenge readers intellectually, people can still learn from romance books.

Romance gets a lot of criticism because of the perceived forced plots, one-dimensional characters and predictable endings. But, not all romance novels fit these descriptions and books from every other genre that can have the aforementioned elements.     

Romance taps into our more vulnerable and private selves. Having romance in a story should not be shrugged off as unnecessary or forced when it can be natural and add a more personal layer to the plot.