Massachusetts tackles violence against women with $3 million in funding

In an effort to help curb gender-based violence in Massachusetts, the Governor’s Office awarded $3 million in funding to 37 community-based organizations, police departments and state agencies, according to a press release Tuesday.

The money comes through the Violence Against Women Act Services Training Officers Prosecutors Grant Program, which serves to create effective responses to sexual assault, stalking and domestic violence.

Gov. Charlie Baker announced $3 million in funding for 37 community-based organizations, police departments and state agencies Tuesday in an effort to prevent violence against women. MIKE DESOCIO/ DFP FILE

Over the past four years, nearly $10 million in VAWA funds have been granted across the state to support domestic and sexual assault victims and their families, according to the press release.

Gov. Charlie Baker said in the press release violence against women does not have a place in Boston society and that the funding will help to combat it.

“These grants reflect our strong commitment to ending gender-based violence,” Baker said, “and supporting the organizations that work every day to help women and girls live in safety and peace.”

Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito, chair of the Governor’s Council to Address Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence, said in the press release each of the awardees has an “essential role” in promoting the welfare of at-risk women of all ages.

Victoria Helberg, law enforcement partnership coordinator for RESPOND Inc., said as one of the awardees, RESPOND’s mission is to end the public health crisis of domestic violence through intervention, education and prevention.

Helberg said this grant allows RESPOND to have a full-time grounds counsel working in the Melrose Police Department who is embedded in the department every day. 

“She responds to any domestic violence calls that come into the department within 48 hours, so there’s no backlog of calls,” Helberg said. “So anybody who has had the police response, she’s following up on that call.”

Helberg said the grant allows RESPOND to have an advocate in court once a week to accompany victims filing restraining orders. 

“I think that’s really important because the court is very scary,” Helberg said. “You often have to stand there with your abuser and kind of tell the judge your story. So having somebody that can be there that’s on your side, I think makes a tremendous difference for folks.” 

Helberg also said that with the funding they have received through this grant program, RESPOND is hoping to extend their services to other departments and bridge gaps between the police and their communities.

“I mean, it’s such a vital service,” Helberg said. “It helps to make victims feel safe by coming into the department to report, and they have a certified domestic counselor who can sit with them and make them feel safer.”

Toni Troop, director of communications and development at Jane Doe Inc., a Massachusetts coalition combatting sexual assault and domestic violence, wrote in an email the federal funding through VAWA helps provide crucial responses and services to sexual and domestic violence victims in the Commonwealth.

“For many years VAWA STOP Grants have supported essential life-saving and life-changing work here in Massachusetts,” Troop wrote. “Addressing [gender-based violence] requires an investment in multiple systems to ensure that all victims — including those who are most marginalized — receive the care, support, and resources they need.” 

Victoria Barnum, 25, of Melrose said although she has never experienced gender-based violence herself, she has had concerns about those who are currently at-risk.

“People living on the street, or people experiencing homelessness, I think those groups are at risk for a lot of issues,” Barnum said. “So hopefully some of the money is going to be diverted to particularly women or people who are vulnerable on the street that could benefit from that.” 

Ali Cisto, 33, of Westwood said she wants to educate herself more on the specifics of the grant, and has witnessed the reasons behind the initiative in her day-to-day life.

“Overall, I know it’s kind of stereotypical, but [with] male-on-female crime and just being a woman,” Cisto said, “sometimes it is much scarier walking around.” 

Jessica Carey, 30, of Somerville said she supports the initiative.

“I think it is really good that [Baker] is investing money into it,” Carey said. “I think it is a really good way to set our resources because it is an ongoing issue that is happening.”