Anna of the North is everyone’s dream girl at Brighton Music Hall

Pop has been a staple genre in the music industry since the beginning of music, and Anna of the North came to Brighton Music Hall Thursday night to revitalize it.

Norwegian singer-songwriter Anna of the North performs at Brighton Music Hall Thursday. JENNIFER SURYADJAJA/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Norwegian singer Anna Lotterud, who uses the moniker Anna of the North, performed for her second time in Boston, this time with fellow rhythm and blues singer Dizzy Fae.

“I love Boston,” Anna said in an interview with The Daily Free Press. “I remember [the] first time I came as well and the energy was crazy, so yeah, love it.”

Dizzy Fae warmed up the intimate crowd with her sultry vocals and dramatic dance moves as she performed her hits, such as “Johnny Bravo,” “Huu R Uu” and “Baby Pillz” before welcoming Anna of the North.

“I don’t know if you all are ready,” Dizzy said during her segment. “She’s cool as f—.”

Anna hopped on the stage after blasting “Interlude” over the speakers with a drink in hand, cheerfully starting the night with “Lonely Life” from her sophomore solo album “Dream Girl” that was released in October 2019.

With a drummer and a keyboardist, Anna’s voice sounded crisp and clear as she sang her whimsical opener “Lonely Life,” closing her eyes between lyrics to deliver a sincere performance as she belted out “Don’t wanna go home, just wanna be alone tonight / Let me sit back, relax for a minute / Let it all wash to me to be in it.”

Clad in a white tank top, an oversized t-shirt and white Tommy Hilfiger jeans, Anna dressed like a true indie it-girl with her hair tied into a long ponytail. She said in an interview her fashion inspiration is anything that makes her feel at ease.

“Wear what makes you feel comfortable,” Anna said.

Her smooth transition to “Used To Be” toned down the bubbly mood to a nostalgic one as she moved her languid body to the catchy beat of the song. Anna hinted on a better time in the past as she reminisced, “Now you’re spending all your money on the things you don’t need / When all that really makes you happy are the things you can’t see.”

After making the lowkey mood last with “Always,” Anna picked up the energy with “Someone,” smiling and interacting with her fans, saying “Hi gang” between her lyrics. Both songs were part of her 2017 album “Lovers,” when she was still collaborating with producer Brady Daniell-Smith.

In her post-split album “Dream Girl,” Anna sang more about being independent with an easy-listening rhythm that blends indie-pop with a dash of soft harmonies, and a combination of warmth and optimism in her lyrics.

Such was the mood for the night. In “Time To Get Over It,” Anna moved across the stage to engage with the crowd, closing her eyes to capture the pensive feel of the song. As it ended, she blew a kiss to the crowd and said, “That was beautiful.”

Then, catapulting the concert into a perfect peak, Anna sang her original version of “Sway,” stripping down the drums and slowing down the chorus. She cast a dreamy air that triggered goosebumps as she sang, “Stop, take it slowly, darling / This time I’m feeling a change.” As she knelt during the bridge, Anna reached out to shake her fans’ hands and encouraged the crowd to put their hands up, swaying to the captivating flow of the song. “Sway” was Anna’s first single and was remixed by The Chainsmokers the same year it was released, boosting her discography when she was just starting out as an artist.

Anna proceeded to sit down and sing “Leaning On Myself,” which she told the crowd was her favorite song. Recharged from the previous ballads, she bounced, kicked and ran around the stage to put on a dynamic performance that matched her free-spirited vibe.

In the whimsical title track “Dream Girl,” Anna raised her cup of liquor as she sang “Sometimes I like to get a little drunk / Just to have some fun and be no one.” She didn’t miss a beat as she continued to jump on stage with purple lights shining in the background.

Anna said in an interview that she has a ritual to hype herself up before concerts.

“I do my medicine and then I do vocal warm ups and stretch a little,” Anna said, “and then I have a little sip of whiskey, and I’m ready to go.”

Anna kept up her light-hearted, ethereal performance as she serenaded the crowd with songs from her latest album “Dream Girl,” such as “Thank Me Later,” “Playing Games” and “My Love,” along with her 2015 single “The Dreamer.”

To wrap up her concert, Anna covered the slow song “Nothing Compares 2 U,” originally performed by Irish singer Sinead O’Connor. She brought down the tempo as the night ended, pink strobe lights shining on her as she gave another honest performance.

Knowing her fans would want more, Anna said to the crowd, “This is the part when you say ‘one more song,’” to which they followed with exactly what she had asked of them. Anna delivered three show-stopper encore performances with “Reasons,” “Lovers” and “Fire,” closing the night with songs across her discography.

Before getting off the stage, Anna invited Dizzy Fae and other supporting musicians for a mini dance party to Cher’s “Believe,” once again giving off positive energy as the crowd jumped around and sang along the chorus.

Anna of the North knows how to give a performance true to her feel-good energy with her charm, lively dancing and candid lyrics.

Jennifer is studying Communication Studies at the College of Communication in the Class of 2020. She has written for multiple publications and practiced digital marketing throughout her time at Boston University. In Jennifer's spare time, she likes going to brunch and solving puzzles. Connect with her on Twitter at @JSuryadjaja