BU mourns the death of real-life Terrier mascot Rhett

Rhett sits in front of Marsh Chapel. The Boston Terrier, who was Boston University’s unofficial mascot, died Tuesday morning. GABRIELA HUTCHINGS/ DFP FILE

For many universities, a mascot is just entertainment at sports games. At Boston University, a mascot was a smiling face on Commonwealth Ave.

Rhett, a Boston Terrier and Boston University’s unofficial mascot, died Tuesday morning as a result of a heart condition at 12 years old. His owner, Calvin Iwanicki, said Rhett died in his owner’s ex-wife’s arms.

Iwanicki said Rhett became ill mid-August last year. He said he brought the dog to the vet, where he had an electrocardiogram and a picture of his heart taken that revealed Rhett’s valves on his heart were failing.

“You see, it wasn’t all glitz and glamor being Rhett’s dad,” Iwanicki said. “In September, I started bringing him on campus again, and he wasn’t the same vibrant powerhouse of energy like he always was.”

Iwanicki announced Rhett’s death to students by putting up a sign in the George Sherman Union. The sign, Iwanicki said, was similar to those he would bring to sports games – but this time it read “Rest in peace! Rhett died today he loved all of you!!!” with a picture of the Terrier. 

Iwanicki sat with the sign at one of the red tables in the GSU Link, where he frequently brought Rhett. He said his decision to announce Rhett’s death using a sign fit what he had done in the past.

“I’m not really media savvy, like Instagram or other stuff. I figured ‘you know what?’ I’ll come in here with one of my many signs that I made for him and just put it out there’” Iwanicki said, “and the students will do the rest with their phones.”

Jonmichael Aracena, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he enjoyed having a real-life mascot on campus. He also expressed his sympathy for the student body.

“It’s terrible, you don’t want to see an icon at school pass away ever,” Aracena said. “But you know, all good things come to an end. I’m just glad I was here to enjoy him while he was here.”

Rhett has been appearing on campus with Iwanicki since 2008. Iwanicki said the Terrier had come to know prominent locations at BU, such as the GSU, FitRec and Warren Towers, and knew his way around campus.

“He was too smart for his own good,” Iwanicki said. “I would tell him ‘Rhett, let’s go to lacrosse.’ And he knew which way Nickerson Field was. I didn’t have to prompt him with the leash, he would go.”

Colin Riley, a BU spokesperson, said Rhett’s passing would bring sadness for those who regularly saw him on campus. 

“He certainly brought a lot of smiles to lots of folks on the BU campus over the years, going up and down,” Riley said. “And when new students arrived at BU, it didn’t take them long to run into him and get to enjoy him.”

Sergio Guillen, a second-year School of Law student, said Rhett was part of the culture of the school and will be missed.

“Well, I just feel like I really didn’t know that this school’s mascot was a Terrier until I saw Rhett, the actual dog,” Guillen said.

Having raised Rhett since he was a puppy, Iwanicki often regarded Rhett as his son and said that his deteriorating condition was hard to witness. The BU alumnus said his dog had stopped barking the week before his passing.

“I noticed something was wrong and his energy level was way low, and the weekend happened and I was like, ‘Rhett, want to go to campus?’’ Iwanicki said. “But he just wanted to stay in his bed. I tried to bring him to walk, [but] his back legs weren’t working as well.”

Rhett’s impact on students spanned many years, with dozens of students approaching and interacting with the dog each time he came to campus. Grace Alessi, who graduated from CAS in 2017, said Rhett helped strengthen BU’s school spirit and that she was “heartbroken” to hear of his death. 

“Talking to Rhett, taking selfies with Rhett and petting Rhett was a huge part of my four years at BU,” Alessi said. “He just had this beautiful energy that kind of permeated throughout campus.”

Mia Kelly, a sophomore at CAS, expressed the same sentiment. She said Rhett’s spirit could be felt throughout campus.

“I think he obviously brings some positive energy to BU,” Kelly said. “It’s very helpful having an adorable mascot. It makes you proud to be from BU.”

Riley said having a real-life mascot was comparable to having a school-wide pet, the benefits of which he said are immense. 

“Pets bring so much to the families and the people who care for them,” Riley said. “They just give a lot of love.”

Iwanicki said that despite the sadness surrounding Rhett’s death, his legacy will carry on. 

“I think everybody will remember. It sucks that it had to happen like this, but hey, we all have a shelf life, right?” he said. “He’s in mascot doggy heaven.”

Rhett’s owner said he died peacefully, with the same positivity he brought to campus so often.

“He died with a smile on his face,” Iwanicki said.

Jennifer is studying Communication Studies at the College of Communication in the Class of 2020. She has written for multiple publications and practiced digital marketing throughout her time at Boston University. In Jennifer's spare time, she likes going to brunch and solving puzzles. Connect with her on Twitter at @JSuryadjaja

1. Calvin Iwanicki

hello BU, this is Rhett’s Dad. Rhett’s mom and I are obviously devastated with Rhett’s passing Tuesday morning. Just wanted to let you all know that Rhett loved all of you on campus, as well as me and Rhett’s mom. It was my pleasure getting to share my son with you all, I wish he was still with us!! Hope to see all of you on the ice at Walter Brown arena Friday night! I will play my usual selection of zany music for everyone!!!!

2. Rest in Peace. I hope he’s sniffing all sorts of fragrant dog butts in heaven.