Minority Report: Don’t pity the princess

Oprah Winfrey’s interview featuring Meghan Markle and Prince Harry was the talk of the town last week, and I have to admit it was fantastic television. Viewers had all of the classic palace intrigue you would expect from a monarchy with no real power: fighting over wedding plans, personal squabbles and the unwelcome outsider who faces intimidating in-laws.

The only revelations that seemed jarring to anyone were the allegations of racism Markle made against the royal family. Markle alleged two major incidents, one likely true and saddening — though unsurprising — and the other flatly false.

The first was that a royal family member had asked what color Markle and Harry’s child would be. Color me shocked. A rich, old, white family — with scores of servants and more land than anyone else in the world — is racist.

Lincoln Son Currie

But I actually have sympathy for Markle regarding the above charge. I am a mixed-race person, and I understand what it is like to have grandparents make hurtful and prejudiced comments about skin color.

The royal who made the comment should be identified, so we can find out the context of the comment and if it was made in a derogatory manner. Negative comments about a child’s skin color are unacceptable and harm both the parent and the child.

How would the child feel if he heard that his grandparent or other family member thinks differently of him because of his skin color?

The other allegation was baseless. Markle alleged that her and Harry’s son, Archie, was not given the title of prince due to his race.

Royals are given their titles based on how close they are to the direct succession of the monarch, who is now Queen Elizabeth II. Because Archie is the monarch’s great-grandson and not more closely connected generationally, Archie was not born a prince.

However, he can eventually inherit Harry’s title, the Duke of Sussex. Until he can inherit his father’s title of prince, Archie must live the difficult life of being an earl or a lord with rich parents. The appropriate response to such an injustice is clearly hot, angry tears.

The Queen indeed allowed Prince William’s children to be princes and princesses. Still, that very well may be because they are much closer to the line of succession than Archie, and Prince Charles has already expressed interest in reducing the royal family’s size. I actually agree with Charles, but only because I think no one should be a king.

Sophia Flissler/DFP STAFF

So now we have the two major allegations before us. I suspect the skin color comments are true, and the person who said them should be confronted about their actions. Markle’s speculation about why Archie is not a prince yet, however, was an allegation based on nothing but feelings.

I have no tears for a pampered princess. Markle and Harry willingly chose to leave the royal family. I can’t pretend they lived in a cardboard box before “getting back on their feet” when their struggle was being slightly poorer millionaires.

Markle and Harry’s current home is a mansion in the same neighborhood as Oprah. Evidently, they are not financially suffering from leaving the royal family.

If you consider the situation more broadly, it will become obvious you shouldn’t pity these people.

Harry is now cut off from the royal family, but he inherited an estimated $13 million from his mother, Princess Diana. Feeling sorry for these people would be as silly as feeling sorry for a man who got “a small loan of $1 million.”

Harry and Markle never had to work difficult jobs after being cut off from the royal family. They just had to do away with being called “Your Highness.”

Comments regarding the baby’s skin color must be revisited and were likely derogatory and hurtful. However, the Duke and Duchess are still among the most privileged people in the world. Their struggles with racism and off-hand comments are infinitesimal compared to the experiences of people who are struggling to survive.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to have enjoyed the interview and engage in the gossip — I know I certainly did. But it’s a ridiculous concept to pity princes and princesses.

The only argument in favor of feeling sorry for the millionaire princess is that her in-laws were mean. But many people have mean, racist in-laws. Few can afford to live off their inheritance and cushy deals with streaming companies worth — around — $100 million.

If you think Meghan Markle is anything but immensely privileged, stop. Quit kissing the princess’ feet. She can pay her servants to do that.