Lifestyle

Heritage skincare products that work for both your grandma and you

Last week, when talking to my grandpa, I discovered that we use the same moisturizer. While not totally surprising (we wear the same shoes, too), the concept of my papa and me going to CVS and picking out the same product is slightly jarring — there’s a 50-year age gap between us. That’s the point, though. 

At some point, a product’s effectiveness outweighs the talent of the marketing team behind it.

Lila Baltaxe | Senior Graphic Artist

A big part of understanding the skincare industry as an active participant is understanding the extensive marketing, branding and positioning behind every product you’re considering. 

While the Food and Drug Administration regulates the claims made by beauty brands, they’re still intentionally worded to be confusing for the consumer, so you’re more likely to buy. I’ve found that when a product’s user base spans generations, it’s more likely to be good.

Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream

Founded in 1975 by a pharmacist and a dermatologist to create products specifically for people with sensitive skin, Vanicream’s packaging is boring, but its products aren’t. The cream goes on thick but absorbs quickly into the skin. 

Vaseline

In 1859, Vaseline’s founder noticed that oil field workers were using a byproduct of the drilling process to heal their skin. He began refining the substance and called the result petroleum jelly. Vaseline has been used for over 150 years by grandparents and grandchildren alike. Most recently, the product has been used as a part of the skin slugging trend, where it is applied in a thin layer over other products, like serums and moisturizers, to lock in moisture (like a slug).

Pond’s Cold Cream

When Pond’s Cold Cream was originally introduced to the market in 1905, it was intended to be a healing balm for minor skin irritations. It was discovered soon after that the product also worked well as a makeup remover. It’s been sold for that purpose ever since. I used Pond’s religiously to remove stage makeup while on Accutane, and it never failed. The cream is moisturizing and effective — plus, it’s fun to wipe off your face.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Still recommended by dermatologists today, Cetaphil was founded in 1947 by a pharmacist to provide a line of products for those with sensitive skin. The cleanser was a part of the brand’s first-ever line of products and is still both produced and popular today. 

Although the brand’s product line has expanded since its founding, it remains one of its most popular. It cleans the skin without overly stripping, and its uncomplicated formulation makes it play well with other products and active ingredients.

Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion

Lubriderm was founded in 1945 and promoted to protect and moisturize the skin of people who worked outside and in harsh weather conditions. Ever since consumers from offices to construction sites have recognized its benefits for keeping their skin hydrated and healthy. My mom and I use the lotion religiously — you can find it on every sink counter in our house. The formula is lightweight and doesn’t leave a greasy feeling on the skin. It’s perfect for everyday use.

Next time you talk to your parents or grandparents, ask them what their trusted skincare products are. We young people tend to think that their recommendations are outdated, but they may be hiding your next favorite in their medicine cabinet.