Abroad crime counts

In October, a law mandating all colleges and universities to report their crime statistics was passed, and Boston University published its crime statistics for the Charles River Campus and the Medical Campus.

What are missing from these reports are statistics of the crimes that occur on BU campuses in other nations, where students are participating in study abroad programs.

BU does not compile or file crime statistics for its abroad dorms, leaving students puzzled as to the chances of crimes being perpetrated against them if they enter the abroad program. BU must keep these incidents on file and report them in an organized fashion, for the benefit of those students that are interested in studying in another country through the University.

Parents and students alike deserve to be fully informed when they make a choice about where they are going to be living for a semester.

Directors of abroad dorms should be aware of crimes that happen in and around their buildings, and inform students who live there as well as the University.

If the incidents are carefully recorded, then appropriate measures can be taken to prevent similar crimes in the future.

Security in these abroad dorms should provide students with as much protection as they would enjoy at BU’s Charles River Campus, and being fully informed and aware about crime on these campuses would be a step toward achieving that goal.