Council authorizes hearing on new Mattapan high school

As the clock ticks down on this year’s legislative session, Boston City Councilors authorized a hearing regarding a proposed high school in Mattapan and criticized Mayor Thomas Menino for earlier rejecting the idea.

Councilor Charles Yancey (Mattapan) sponsored the proposal. The School Department’s goal, he said, is to build the new school by 2005, using $57 million from city reconstruction funds. While most councilors supported the long awaited move, others were indecisive until more information was available.

The motion passed 11-1, with Councilor-at-large Stephen Murphy dissenting. The Council, he said, needs to have cost estimates from the state and general contractor, in addition to estimates on the site cleanup work before proceeding.

“I do believe that it is necessary that we build a high school in the Mattapan area, but we should take our time to get everything right. We need the information,” he said.

His peers argued that if the Council waited, the final vote would have to wait until after committees are reorganized in January.

Councilor Maura Hennigan (Jamaica Plain, West Roxbury) said that in Jamaica Plain alone the high school is in excess of 1,300 students and lacks a study hall or cafeteria space.

“This is not a new issue,” she said. “Our high schools are busting at the seams. … It needs to get on the radar screen now.”

Councilor Chuck Turner (South End, Roxbury) accused the state government of “dereliction of duty.” Menino’s proposal to build the high school on a piece of the former Boston State Hospital site in Mattapan was all but killed by state lawmakers last July, he said.

The councilors also discussed the need for a hearing concerning the retention of affordable artist workspace in the Fort Point section of South Boston. High priced development is forcing more artists to leave the area, Turner said.

Councilor Michael Ross (Back Bay, Fenway, Kenmore) visited a recent exhibit by the artists and urged the city to help.

“I was impressed by the fortitude, resilience and integrity of the artists in the area. … We have got to protect these people,” he said.