Grant public access

Public sector jobs traditionally pay far less than do their counterparts in the private sector. Therefore, the most highly qualified college graduates are often more attracted to private industry jobs, and are often recruited right out of school. This sometimes leaves the public service lacking highly qualified employees, whose presence can drive an private company or government office. A new joint project by Harvard and Suffolk Universities will give grants to Boston graduate students and young professionals involved in local civil service.

Young, qualified and motivated individuals will bring new blood to civil service positions. Hopefully this initiative will start to change the notorious reputation of these positions as contributing to a stale bureaucracy. If civil service jobs are made financially worthwhile for Boston’s young professionals, they will gain experience that will help them later in their careers should they choose to take a job in the private sector.

Harvard University’s new Rappaport Institute will offer six year-long fellowships to recent graduates in order to tackle problems such as the housing crunch and low standardized test scores that are handled by government agencies.

Boston residents that benefit from the services of these public agencies will greatly benefit from this initiative. Hopefully, it will spark other area universities to follow Harvard and Suffolk’s lead.