Duke cracks down on application fraud, BU says incidents are rare

On their 2001 admissions application, Duke University is asking students to write about whether or not they could admire a person of integrity even if they disagree with the person’s views.

But it is the University who is taking a stand against those lacking integrity.

“We recognize that all good writers seek feedback, advice or editing before sending off an essay. … Whose advice did you seek for information with your essay? Was he/she helpful? What help did he/she provide?” the University asks applicants as the final question on the 14-page application.

With an increased number of classes and agencies designed to help high school students write essays for college applications, Duke added the question to their application in an attempt to force applicants to pledge if the work is in fact their own.

Boston University’s Office of Admissions, however, still trusts prospective students enough not to amend their application.

“We give students the benefit of the doubt,” said Kelly Walter, BU’s director of admissions. “Most students write their own essays. They may brainstorm with parents and teachers, but the work is their own.”

When an applicant does submit plagiarized work, it is easy to spot, Walter said.

“It’s very clear when students submit work that is not their own,” she said. “Last year, for example, an applicant submitted an essay that had been on the Internet for years, so we immediately recognized it as not being her work and notified her principal and guidance counselor.

“Occurrences are few and far between, but they happen every year.”

Walter did admit, though, outside assistance for students is becoming increasingly common.

“Whole, semester-long classes are devoted to writing and editing college essays. It’s just write and rewrite and write again,” she said. “By the time one of these essays gets to the Office of Admissions, 10 sets of eyes have seen it.”

Walter also said the rise of independent prep services that specialize in writing college admissions essays contribute to essay fraud.

“Most of the ones we deal with do not write essays, but we are concerned about the relatively new agencies who say ‘We will write your essay for you,’” she said. “The outcry against them from admissions offices is likely to be loud.”

BU students were unsure Duke’s strategy to stop illegitimate essays will help, but the idea is a good start.

“I think it will be good. It means filtering out insincere applicants,” said Peter Brindini, a sophomore in the College of the Arts and Sciences. “It’ll give everyone a fair chance.”

“I think it’s self-defeating,” said Jennifer Young, a senior in the College of Communication. “Honest people who admit to receiving assistance will be dropped in favor of people who submit work that is not their own, but lie about it.”

But, Young said, getting input is a part of life that continues long after students are accepted to college.

“Getting other people’s input on your work mirrors the real world,” she said. “In every college or work situation, there is an opportunity for feedback. Trying to police it is ridiculous.”

Other BU students agreed that although they may have received editing assistance, the work they submitted was an accurate representation of their own writing and thoughts.

“I didn’t get help writing my essay,” said COM freshman Mike Osorio. “My guidance counselor read it, but that was all.”

“I talked to my English teacher about my essay and had her edit it, but she didn’t write it for me,” said COM freshman Dave Zeines. “I think dictating subject matter is bad, but editing assistance is fine.”