Hoopsters’ weekend split comes at costly price

As Charles Dickens once wrote, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.”

First, the positives. The Boston University women’s basketball team improved to 2-1 in America East conference play with a hard-fought, low-scoring 66-62 win over Hofstra University yesterday in Hempstead, N.Y. Freshman forward Katie Terhune led the Terriers with 14 points, and sophomore guard Alison Argentieri scored 13 and tallied six assists. Junior forward Dia Dufault also pulled down nine rebounds.

In a game that featured 10 ties and 17 lead changes, the Terriers took a 64-62 lead on a layup by freshman forward Marisa Mosley with 1:16 remaining. After stopping the Pride on consecutive possessions, junior guard Annie Tomasini sealed the game with two free throws.

Now, the bad news.

Junior guard Pilar Verde, who missed the first six games of the year with a bruised bone in her ankle, suffered another injury to her ankle during practice on Thursday. She is scheduled to have surgery today to insert two screws and a plate in her ankle. She will likely miss the rest of the season.

Without Verde earlier in the season, the Terriers struggled to attain consistency on both offense and defense, averaging 20 turnovers and over 88 points allowed per game. In their first game without their floor leader, on Friday night at Drexel University, the Terriers looked lost on both sides of the ball. The Dragons took advantage as they routed BU, 88-69.

Terhune continued her torrid start by scoring 21 points, but was plagued much of the second half by foul trouble. The Terriers shot only 38.7 percent from the floor (24-of-62), committed 24 turnovers and sent Drexel to the foul line 48 times, including 28 times in the second half. The Terriers trailed, 45-36, at halftime, trailed by as many as 21 points, and never got within double digits in the final 20 minutes, as the Dragons (4-2, 2-0 America East) shot 52.2 percent from the floor in the second half. Freshman forward Katrina Martin led the Dragons with 23 points and a game-high 13 rebounds, while junior forward Michelle Maslowski tallied 20 points and nine rebounds.

The Terriers will be off until Thursday, Dec. 21, when they travel to New Orleans to take on Tulane University. The Green Wave play in Conference USA, are ranked in the top 50 of the national RPI ratings and will play BU for the first time.