Mini-Med School offers unique in-depth view of medical circles

Beginning Tuesday, those interested in science and health will be able to get a small taste of Boston University’s medicine without having to enroll in the School of Medicine.

Sponsored by The Smithsonian Associates and hosted by BU, Mini-Med School will acquaint participants with various aspects of medicine through an eight-part series beginning tomorrow night at the School of Management Auditorium.

“Mini-Med School will help educate participants about the importance and excitement of academic medicine and research,” said MED Dean Aram Chobanian. “In addition to learning about medicine, participants will be exposed to a number of exciting lectures on medical research which will ultimately enhance the quality of care for all.” It’s easy to compare years spent in training but how hard is PA school vs med school?

In addition to lectures on anatomy, neurological and cardiovascular systems and new medical developments with cancer, the program will also feature a hands-on laboratory class. Classes will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. for eight consecutive Tuesdays, culminating in a May 1 graduation ceremony.

“It’s fairly simple: the program makes the public aware of what a medical circle is all about,” said Carl Franzblau, a MED biochemistry professor. The eight-part series allows the public to appreciate the research that goes into medical science, he said, adding, “We don’t sit down over a cup of coffee and just discuss.”

Through the program, anyone can be a medical student without spending thousands of tuition dollars. This year’s Mini-Med School will be the second straight BU has hosted. Last year’s program drew participants ages 14 to 81.

“I believe that about 10 percent of Boston’s population deals directly or indirectly with medicine … therefore they want to know more about terminology and get a clear understanding of what’s going on,” Franzblau said, noting about 250 students are enrolled.

In addition to the original program started last spring, this year’s Mini-Med School offers an advanced course through a separate five-part lecture series focusing on health risks pertaining to nutrition, metabolism and obesity.

BU is the only university to host such a program here in Massachusetts. MED professors will teach Mini-Med courses. Christine Cimino of The Smithsonian Associates termed the School an “outreach program,” saying it is one of several similar courses around the country but unique in its devotion to medicine.

“Other universities run similar series but with a focus on different fields,” Cimino said.

The Smithsonian Associates is the membership and educational branch of The Smithsonian Institute, specializing in museum-based education throughout its 30-year history.