Tai Chi helps students escape daily stress

For many Boston University students, last week served as an opportunity to step away from the early mornings, term papers and textbooks that symbolize the frantic pace of college life. Escaping salty sidewalks for sandy sanctuaries, students fled Boston hoping to have fun, find the sun, and above all else, relax.

For those studying Tai Chi at BU however, this week marks the return to their semester-long study of fluidity and relaxation. Taught by world renowned martial artist Master Bow Sim Mark, the students are part of a surge in interest of the practicality of the art sparked by the film, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” according to Mark.

While it has been more than three months since “Crouching Tiger” debuted in theaters, its continued success has given Mark the opportunity to continue where the film left off; teaching the beauty and complexity of Chinese culture and physical expression she learned as a child. Wudan, the martial arts practiced in the film, is part of Tai Chi, according to Mark.

“Wudan is internal Kung Fu. Tai Chi is one part Wudan,” said Mark, who is an expert in the art and a respected martial artist, having performed theatrical Tai Chi for millions in China. She teaches her craft at BU, Harvard University and other local schools, and founded the Chinese Wushu Research Institute in Boston.

Setting itself apart from other classes offered through the Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, Mark’s class offers not only improvement in physical stamina and flexibility, but increased mental energy and relaxation, in addition to a sense of culture and spirituality.

“Tai Chi is an internal martial art,” according to graduate student John Darling. “What is not commonly recognized, I think, is that Tai Chi does have applications to self defense and other ‘martial’ activities.”

“Tai Chi Chuan is suitable for everyone. … Whether you are male or female, young or old, strong or weak, you can still practice Tai Chi,” Mark said. With continued practice, she said, one feels “more calm, more relaxed, more elegant, more gentle.”

An International Chinese gold medallist, Mark spent nearly her entire life practicing, training and teaching Tai Chi. She has been lauded by international martial arts magazines with praise for her performance, art, writing and innovation both in the martial arts and in spreading Chinese cultural awareness, and has been named “One of the Most Influential Martial Artists of the 20th Century” and “One of 100 Most Influential Martial Artists of the Millennium.” Her skills have been featured in prominent magazines, as well as in upcoming interviews with The Boston Globe and Channel 25 news.

At BU, Mark instructs small classes in the methods and movements that embody the gracefulness of Tai Chi. What aspects of the practice Master Mark cannot express in words to her students, she does through movement and form.

“It is definitely enjoyable, and it’s also challenging,” Darling said. “Once one begins to learn the formal moves … one can start to cultivate a feeling of fluidity and relaxation that begins to carry over into the mental and spiritual aspects of the practice.”

The more than $80 million of “Crouching Tiger” box office sales is evidence to the growing interest in Tai Chi and Chinese culture, a craft which Mark plans to continue her work.

“Master Mark is making an important contribution by attempting to educate people as to the place of Tai Chi in the martial arts tradition in general. I think a typical reaction to seeing impressive martial arts is something like ‘Wow, that’s impressive, but I could sure as hell never do it,’” Darling said.

“Perhaps so, but one need not be a Bruce Lee to appreciate the various benefits of martial arts such as Tai Chi and to appreciate the culture from which it springs.”