Not a Swift move

About seven months ago, Lt. Gov. Jane Swift promised to recruit tutors from area colleges, businesses and state workers to volunteer with nearly 30,000 10th graders who may fail this year’s Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System exam because the test will determine whether or not they graduate. Since Swift announced the creation of this new program during a State of Education address, just a few hundred tutors have decided to work with these students.

Trying to teach high school students months worth of material and compensate for years of poor academic preparation over the course of a few weeks is a daunting task. These few volunteers should be commended for even attempting to undertake such a project. Swift should emphasize improving the academic readiness of younger students. While educators should not totally ignore these high school students with low test scores, the focus should instead be on improving the educational resources for elementary and middle school children.

Mayor Thomas Menino, on the other hand, has dedicated most of his years in office to supporting and working with programs for younger students. Initiatives such as the Boston Reads program have recruited thousands of college students to tutor children in after-school programs. Menino has made a definite commitment to the children of Boston. His high public approval rating cited in the Boston Herald is just one indication that people appreciate his work.

On Wednesday, the mayor visited the Jackson-Mann Elementary School in Allston to announce a new program called After-School for All Partnership with the city, local businesses and charities to fund city-wide after-school programs. The partnership will supply these programs with $23 million over the next five years. In working with community members and organizations, the city of Boston is cultivating strong alliances in its effort to provide students with adequate academic preparation.

Menino’s hands-on approach to improving after-school and tutoring resources for Boston’s youth is the right approach to creating a better community of healthy, educated and safe children and families.

Beacon Hill legislators should look to Boston as an example of how to create successful community programs for students.