Sikh festival celebrates Punjab New Year at Marsh

To celebrate the beginning of a new year in the land of Punjab, the Boston University Sikh Association will host Baisakhi Boston, a cultural festival on Marsh Plaza tomorrow.

Featuring a variety of activities ranging from martial arts demonstrations to bhangra dancing, a form of folk dance practiced by the people of Punjab, the event will run from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

A turban-tying contest, opportunities to donate bone marrow or blood, relay races and speeches from unnamed guests will also be included throughout the day.

Punjab is a state in northern India that shares a border with Pakistan. The Golden Temple, the most revered Sikh temple, is located there, where parishioners chant to the holy book, the Guru Granth Sahib.

Sikh Association member and event organizer Navroop Mitter, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he estimates there to be about 150 BU students from the land of Punjab, but all students are welcome at the event.

“We are expecting a full, long day of wonderful activities and lots of enjoyment for everyone. Everyone should come; it is free for all. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their background,” Mitter said.

A Kashmir restaurant on Newbury Street has donated Punjabi food for the event. Some dishes that will be available are chicken tikka-masala, samosas and a yogurt drink called Lassi.

After the activities there will be a short musical prayer called a kirtan, led by Sikh Association members Harpreet Kaur and Inderpreet Singh. Upon completion of the ceremonies, the langar, a 24-hour open kitchen, will begin offering food in the basement of the Chapel.

To Publicize the event, the Sikh Association sent e-mails to various South Asian, Pakistani and Indian groups in numerous states. They are expecting about 200 students, adults and families from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and Canada to attend.