Spring Thaw brings mighty Bosstones

I was a bit disappointed when I picked up my Free Press yesterday morning and read the article about Monday night’s Senate meeting (“Union takes to the pavement to support Spectrum” March 27). I failed to find any mention of a major component of this meeting. I’m referring to the official announcement of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones concert being held on Friday, April 27 at the Armory.

I’ve received countless letters from students in the past claiming that Boston University needs to put on more shows. In November, the Programming Council hosted The Push Stars and Uncles Sammy in Morse Auditorium. The following week The Programming Council was trashed in these very same pages of the Free Press for failing to get the word out and for bringing second-rate acts.

The Union has taken these suggestions from students and has worked hard all semester to bring BU a top-tier act for the spring. Plans are already in the works for a massive marketing campaign for the show and recruitment has already begun for the show’s production team and security, all of which was highlighted in detail at Monday’s meeting but was apparently not deemed newsworthy by this newspaper.

This is not meant to discredit what ran in the Free Press from Monday night’s meeting. The Student Union proposal to amend the nondiscrimination policy and add a sexual orientation clause is obviously an issue of great importance and the campus-wide walk to raise awareness is a brilliant idea that the student body should be aware of.

However, I believe that this announcement should also have been recognized as something the student body should know and be proud of because it represented the culmination of countless hours that have already been put in to bring the student body a great act for the Spring Thaw show.

As a former member of The Daily Free Press staff, I can appreciate the tough decision-making process involved in choosing what does and does not make it into the paper. However, it’s rare that the University is able to contract an act of national prominence like the Bosstones. For an event that very well may go down as one of the biggest shows in the history of the school, the Free Press erred in failing to give it its due recognition.

Joshua Karpf Co-chair of Concerts Student Union Programming Council COM ’02