After nine cancellations, BU could finally play today

Though their practice jerseys say they’re proud, poised and together, the members of the Boston University softball team are probably more frustrated, disappointed and antsy by this point in the season.

After having its ninth consecutive game cancelled Tuesday against the University of Rhode Island, the team is still waiting for that new season of conference play to actually take shape.

The team has been entrenched inside the stuffy Armory for more than two weeks now, running through monotonous practice drills and seemingly going through the motions.

BU can thank Mother Nature for that feeling.

Out of the nine games cancelled, seven of them were scheduled at home on the renovated Malvern Field.

That means the Terriers have seemingly prepared themselves to play their home debut with the energy and intensity that typifies an opening day.

With a new field, a new coach and new motivation, the team looked to make an early statement in America East.

But after seven cancelled games, that energy and intensity looks to be dwindling fast as the Terriers are continually inconvenienced by Mother Nature. Hayes believes her team will bounce back once it starts playing games outside once again.

“What we’ve faced is inconsistency,” Hayes said. “But we work well together. … The team looks motivated to get out there and play.”

The weather has not been the only factor wreaking havoc on the team’s preparation.

The Terriers have also run into a slew of injuries.

Senior Robyn King, who was out with a stress fracture in her pitching forehand earlier this season, is slowly coming back to top form.

After coping with a bad knee and neck problems, junior Aryn Rangel is in the same boat as King as she slowly makes her return to the team. Now comes the news that one of BU’s biggest offensive weapons, senior Kenya Palmer, may miss some playing time after spraining her ankle in practice last weekend.

“It’s frustrating to practice in the Armory for so long,” Hayes said. “[With the injuries] the team is pretty down right now … but we have to stay motivated for us to win.”

And win fast. Going into today’s game against the University of Rhode Island, the Terriers have not played a single conference game.

After tangling with the Rams, BU will head off to Hempstead, N.Y., for back-to-back doubleheaders against Hofstra University (3-1 America East) this weekend and will face the University of Delaware (4-0 America East) at Malvern Field next week.

“[This upcoming week] will be crucial for us to get wins under our belt,” Hayes said. “It puts more pressure on us to stay motivated and competitive.”