MFA dresses up for exhibit

Few things in life are free. However, with a student ID, Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts is one of them. Periodically, the museum hosts special exhibits to entice visitors. It is currently holding one entitled, “From Head to Toe.”

After a long search through the confusing halls of the MFA, the exhibit can be found between cases of New England silver and a room full of Ancient Egyptian artifacts. The dimly lit Loring Gallery, home for this temporary exhibit, displays accessories from around the world. A sign on the wall informs museum visitors of the accessories. They are “articles of apparel that are neither the main feature nor always essential.” This can be said about the exhibit as well. This exhibit is not worth going out of the way to see.

The petite room is fairly dark to protect the textiles from fading or deteriorating, which gives the room a somber atmosphere. From the outside, it appears as if the Loring Gallery is currently empty. Passersby briefly glance at the dark room and continue on their museum journey.

Lined along the walls are a selection of men’s waistcoats, shoes and headwear from various time periods. However, the museum did a poor job of organization, as the plates describing the clothing and the actual placement of the objects are not matched.

In the middle of the small room are two cases filled with handbags. While one or two of the bags have an odd shape or unique design, many look like purses that could be purchased at fancy boutiques on Newbury Street.

The side opposite the entrance is the most interesting part. There are mannequins showing the progression of such things as petticoats and footwear from a farm laborer of the 18th Century to a go-go dancer in the 1960s.

A Saturday afternoon is not completely wasted on this mediocre exhibit — one will learn a few things that might be an aide for an appearance on Jeopardy. Signs enlighten on how people in Java used a textile patterning process called Batik to make intricate designs on cloth and that stomachers were the most carefully designed articles of ladies clothing that peeped out underneath the hem dresses in the 17th Century.

If you plan on composing a research project on costumes of another era, head down to the MFA. However, if you are looking for wild thrills on a Saturday afternoon, head someplace else.