Union seeks to increase recycling options

With the election of a new Student Union Executive Board fast approaching, the Student Union Senate last night unveiled efforts to further campus-wide recycling last night at its weekly meeting in the Photonics Center.

A proposal detailing steps to improve recycling in all Boston University residence halls, academic buildings and along Commonwealth Avenue was sent to Vice President of Business Affair Peter Cusato last week, according to Warren Towers Senator and College of Arts and Sciences freshman Rachael Garrett.

The proposal requested the development of a recycling center in the basement of each academic building with bins for all recyclable items. Currently, only paper is recycled. The group also called for the addition of signs informing students of the location of bins and for recycle bins to be added along Commonwealth Avenue.

“It’s basically what we felt were the most immediate and effective steps that can be taken to increase recycling at BU,” Garrett said, “and to create a more environmentally conscious campus.”

Although the proposal has been delivered, Garrett said the battle to increase BU recycling isn’t finished. Capital Papers, the company that picks up BU’s recyclable items, would also have to agree to the changes, she said.

“[Cusato] is very optimistic about it,” Garrett said. “If Capital Papers is OK with it, he didn’t see any immediate problems with it.”

Garrett, also BU’s Environmental Student Organization treasurer, said the proposal is the climax of a year-long process between ESO, the Union, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety and the Center for Energy and Environmental Studies.

“This is the culmination of out efforts for this year,” Garrett said. “They will get rid of a lot of waste and create the recycling-friendly atmosphere at BU.”

Meanwhile, Student Union Elections Commissions Chair John Macom said SUEC was preparing for the debate tomorrow night, which will feature a different format than the first.

Unlike last week’s debate, all contested slates will debate. The three Union Executive Board slates, two CAS Forum slates and two College of General Studies slates will spar.

SUEC Vice Chair Brian Sirman, who will serve as the mediator of the debate, said the slates will question each other for half the debate and questions from the audience will finish the debate.

Currently, all three Union E-board slates — New Blood, Perpetual Motion and Real — have tentatively violated campaign guidelines, Macom said. However, Macom refused to comment on the quantity and severity of the potential violations.

SUEC has been unable to meet this week to verify the alleged violations, he said.

Sirman said he found “improper advertising” for New Blood and Perpetual Motions, who allegedly placed ads on elevators and stairwells.

Macom said if students attend the debate, they will effectively choose the best slate for Union, CAS and CGS.

“Hopefully, people will come out and make their decision on who can do the best, and to just verify what each slate stands for,” Macom said.

Voting begins tomorrow and continues through Friday. Students can vote online through the BU website.