Krispy Kreme creeps into New England, setting up clash with Dunkin’ Donuts

Watch out Dunkin’ Donuts, here comes Krispy Kreme.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, the North Carolina-based doughnut shop chain, has announced plans to expand into New England and open 16 stores in the Boston area.

The new Krispy Kreme stores could become a source of major competition to Quincy-based Dunkin’ Donuts, which has practically had a monopoly on the Boston doughnut market since its inception in 1950. Krispy Kreme has a loyal following throughout the South.

Boston University students were excited at the possibility of being able to grab a glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut before morning classes.

“I think it’s awesome,” said Lauren Lyon, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, when she heard the news.

“They’re gonna give Dunkin’ Donuts a run for their money,” said College of Communication freshman Lauren Wasserman.

Krispy Kreme enthusiasts said they like the doughnuts because they are always light, fluffy, warm and fresh, something they do not always find at Dunkin’ Donuts.

“They’re fresher. Dunkin’ Donuts always lets them sit out for a while,” Lyon said.

“It’s the combination of the crispy and the cream. They actually are crispy and creamy,” said Kate Gould, a graduate student at Tufts University.

However, most people felt the draw of the extremely popular coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts would prevent people from switching to the incoming doughnut stores. According to the Dunkin’ Donuts website, the company sells approximately 1.5 million cups of coffee a day. Krispy Kreme has prepared for the competition though, having recently purchased Digital Java Inc., as it hopes to break into the coffee end of the business.

“Krispy Kreme has good doughnuts. They’re extra sugary and they get that nice little glaze to them,” said Dan Brown, a COM freshman and life-long Dunkin’ Donuts customer. “It’s really two different things. People go to Dunkin’ for coffee, mostly.”

Brown agreed that coffee would have a bigger sway over customers than would the quality of the doughnut.

Still, Krispy Kreme will be a definite presence in the Dunkin’ Donuts dominated Hub and New England market. Alex Aquila, a CAS sophomore and summer employee at his local Dunkin’ Donuts in New Jersey, didn’t seem too worried though.

“I don’t think it would be that big of a deal because we’ve worked side-by-side with Starbucks and it really hasn’t affected business at all,” Aquila said.