Society welcomes BU’s brightest

The top 15 percent of Boston University’s sophomore class gathered in the College of Communication Friday to be recognized by the BU chapter of the Golden Key International Honors Society for their academic achievement throughout their first two years in college.

The students were invited to become members of the society and will be officially inducted in October of next year, once they have completed two years at BU.

“By recognizing the current sophomores, we are honoring their commitment to academic excellence and their leadership ability here at BU,” said Alyse Stolting, vice president of publicity for Golden Key.

Founded in 1977 at Georgia State University, Golden Key now has 300 collegiate chapters and over 1 million alumni. Its main goal is to “provide economic assistance to outstanding members by means of both undergraduate and graduate scholarships, and to promote altruistic conduct through voluntary service,” as stated in Golden Key’s mission statement.

Friday’s event featured a number of speakers, including professor Strom Thacker, who was inducted to Golden Key last semester as an honorary member for his outstanding service to the students and community of BU. In addition to congratulating the sophomores on their achievements, Thacker spoke to the importance of participating in an honor society committed to serving not only the BU community, but its surrounding schools and neighborhoods as well.

Margaret Renn, the long-term community service chair spoke about such service, including working at the Mandela Health Spot, an organization that works with black and Hispanic inner-city youth and teaches them to row.

“BU Golden Key members visit Mandela twice a week on Tuesdays and Saturdays to tutor the rowers who are preparing to take the SATs,” Stolting said.

In addition to these efforts, Renn told the future Golden Key members about various fund-raising activities held to raise money for the SAT prep books that Golden Key members use in their SAT tutor sessions.

Preeti Subhedar, the Golden Key president, also spoke to the sophomores Friday, congratulating them on their outstanding commitment to education and their ability to juggle school, volunteer commitments, and work.

“We are pleased to recognize the top 15 percent of the sophomore class for their hard work and dedication to academics,” Subhedar said, also noting the opportunities to become leaders through executive board positions and through volunteer opportunities at BU.

The students who are inducted next fall will become eligible for a number of scholarship opportunities offered to Golden Key members. These awards total over $2 million every year and are offered to both undergraduate and graduate students.

Before their induction, each new member will be considered for two Ford Motor Company undergraduate scholarships that are awarded each year at the chapter’s induction ceremony. Like the Ford scholarship, most of Golden Key’s scholarships judge applicants based on academic achievements and extracurricular activities, including work experience and community service.

In addition, members who are interested in the art or the performing arts can participate in other annual contests offered by Golden Key, and all members can keep up-to-date on upcoming scholarships and contests through the scholarship database on the Society’s website.