Union and Project 100 seeking walkers to ‘Fight for Life’

Walking for cancer is atop the Student Union Senate’s plans this month as Project 100’s chair Liz Russo looks to attract hundred of students to “Fight For Life.”

Project 100, the community-service committee of the Union, is planning a 12-hour walk to raise $60,000 for the American Cancer Society. “This is a phenomenal cause,” Russo said. “Cancer affects everyone. Everyone knows someone — a friend, a family member, someone you grew up with — who has been affected by cancer.”

The walk, Project 100’s only University-wide event this year, will begin at noon and end at midnight on April 28, Russo said. Although the event lasts 12 hours, Russo said students aren’t bound to walk the duration. Instead, they will walk in teams, and only one member from each team is needed to walk at one time.

All money from the event will be donated to the American Cancer Society to provide further cancer research and support programs for cancer patients. The event will not only provide the Society with more funds, but will further educate students on the effects of cancer on patients and their families, Russo said.

“It’s really important not just for the money we’re raising, but also just to raise awareness,” Russo said.

Walkers will begin at Marsh Chapel and circle around the BU Beach, Bay State Road, Granby Road, Commonwealth Avenue and then return to Marsh, Russo said.

Fight For Life will also inform students of Project 100, a group which has suffered setbacks due to slumping membership. Registration will begin this Wednesday and continue every Wednesday in the GSU link before the April 28 walk. Registration is $10 per student plus any extra contributions.

In other Senate news, senators allocated $1,000 to Unite’s trip to Washington, D.C., where members will support women’s abortion rights.

With only two weeks left, the Project account has about $700 left to allocate.