IFSC honors professor with first faculty award at annual reception

For the first time since it began 10 years ago, members of the InterFraternity/Sorority Council and the Order of Omega National Greek Honor Society honored a member of the Boston University faculty at the Greek Awards Reception held in the George Sherman Union last night.

Members of Boston University’s most distinguished fraternities and sororities were on hand to honor College of Communication professor John Schulz, who was awarded Professor of the Year honors.

Schulz, who was himself a member of Sigma Chi while in college, has served as a faculty member for six years and is also an award-winning journalist.

In addressing the audience, Schulz spoke of the importance of having a strong Greek presence on campus, saying he was especially impressed by the efforts fraternities and sororities have made toward helping those in need.

“I see a continued important role, not only in character development and social skills, but also in providing support to others,” he said. “The fraternities and sororities so effectively represent Boston University.”

The award represents a continued effort by the IFSC and the Order of Omega National Greek Honor Society to get University administration involved in Greek life.

“We tried to get the administration more involved this year. This is something that was never done before,” said IFSC President Gina Ori. In addition to Schulz, Assistant Dean of Students Drew Klein was also there to represent the administration, and he encouraged members of the fraternity and sororities to be proud of what they stand for. “Greek life is something that I want to see stay alive on campus,” he said.

Every year, the IFSC works in conjunction with the Order of Omega National Greek Honor Society to hold the event and highlight the achievement of overall chapters and individuals.

Each fraternity and sorority receives nominations, and of those who choose to apply, nine individuals and chapters are chosen for awards. Last night, Alpha Delta Pi, Kappa Sigma and Alpha Phi were honored, as was Delta Gamma, which received the award for Sorority of the Year. Chi Phi was celebrated as Fraternity of the Year.

According to Stephanie LaVine, Greek Adviser to the IFSC, these awards were based on scholarship, philanthropy and membership. Among the awards are Academic Excel-lence, Fraternity and Sorority President of the Year, Brother and Sister of the Year, New Members of the Year and Most Improved Chapter.

Justin Li, who received the award for New Fraternity Member of the Year, was enthusiastic about winning, and said, “Being in a fraternity gives me a foundation and sense of community. I am very honored to receive this award.”