BU Baseball set to play

The Boston University club baseball team can be forgiven for being antsy this weekend.

Last semester, there was no club baseball team to speak of. But after an exhaustive process, which included lobbying the University to establish a team, tryouts, 6 a.m. practices, ordering uniforms and making the necessary arrangements, the Terriers are ready to play ball. The culmination of their efforts will take place Saturday in the regular season opener against the University of New Hampshire.

Vice President and team captain Mike Cooper is pleased to shift the focus to opening day.

“It was a lot of work, a lot of obstacles we had to overcome but we definitely had a dedicated group of individuals, who were up to the challenge,” said Cooper, who will start at shortstop. “We got the job done.”

Cooper said that the logistics of putting together a team, which includes the tasks of gathering equipment as well as recruiting support from the University, was more difficult than anticipated.

“Finding a field for practice was the biggest obstacle,” he said. “Getting funding and support from the school [was also tough]. Now, we’re ready to go.

“I think we have a good group of guys. We had a lot of people come out for the team. The selection process was extremely difficult, especially the spring tryouts. We wound up keeping a lot of guys since we had a lot of talented guys who came out. To evaluate everyone indoors is difficult.”

There are currently 22 players on the roster, giving the Terriers much depth, Cooper said. The two hitters from who most is expected this season are first baseman Mike Coranado and third baseman Dave D’Onofrio, the third hitter and cleanup hitter, respectively.

BU’s starting pitcher tomorrow will be junior Matt Walker. According to the captain, the Terriers have faith in his repertoire of pitches.

“He throws hard, has a great changeup, a good curveball and slider,” Cooper said. “He keeps hitters off balance.”

Regardless of the outcome, the Terriers feel liberated just reaching a point on what seemed like an endless wait. The first two games of the season were cancelled due to the rain and flooding which pounded New England the last two weeks. The weather has forced the team to practice indoors, which can backfire since The Shed does not simulate game conditions outdoors.

“The guys have been practicing hard at 6 a.m. three times a week,” Cooper said. “We’ve been dying to get outside and play our first game.”

The cancellations force the Terriers to play a four-game season, including a doubleheader at the Ashland High School baseball field on April 28 against the University of New Hampshire. These two games represent the “home” portion of the schedule.

The inaugural season will not include a postseason for BU since it is not affiliated with a league for the spring. In the fall, however, the Terriers will join the National Club Baseball Association, a 40-team league with clubs from all over the country. The NCBA will form a Northeast Conference in the fall, which will include BU, New Hampshire, the University of New England and other schools that have yet to be determined.

“Going into these games, we are taking it as serious as we would if there were playoffs,” he said. “Just being on the field is a huge accomplishment.”

The nine-inning game is scheduled for 11 a.m. As for what the club expects from New Hampshire, Cooper said the Wildcats have earned the Terriers’ respect based on experience.

“All we know is they’ve had an established program,” he said. “We feel confident that we can play with these guys no matter what.”