Groups urge welfare reform

The Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation and United Way of Massachusetts Bay have released a report calling for changes in the state’s welfare program.

The goal is to help welfare recipients achieve long-term economic independence and self-sufficiency.

“Our vision is a welfare system that lifts recipients out of poverty, frees them from reliance on state benefits and helps them instead to become contributing taxpayers,” said Marion Heard, president and CEO of United Way, in a written statement.

The report, entitled “Off Welfare … On to Independence,” recommends education and job training programs be included for recipients to prepare them for a job after their two-year welfare limit expires.

Jeffery Hayward, a spokesman for United Way, said he felt confident the recommendations will go into effect.

“Governor [Jane] Swift announced that the working poor need to have their skills advanced,” Hayward said. “Why wait until [welfare recipients] become the working poor to educate them? Educate the people on welfare before they become the working poor.”

Other recommendations call for the work requirement to be increased from 20-30 hours per week, for mothers of children ages 2-6 to be included in the work requirement and for an amendment to the state’s extension policy.

By increasing the work requirement — provided that education and training are included — additional training opportunities would open for recipients, and Massachusetts would comply with the federal guideline of 30 hours, which has already been adopted by 33 other states.

Unlike other states, Bay State mothers of children ages 2-6 aren’t required to fulfill the work requirement and, therefore, rarely do anything to prepare to have a job. The report calls for the mothers to be required to work 20 hours a week to prepare themselves for life after welfare.

“The ability to get an education while I was on welfare opened the door for me to find meaningful employment that helped my family live without state subsidies,” said Nancy Sanchez, a mother of four who finished a college degree while on welfare, in a written statement.

The amendment to the extension policy says those finishing an education or training program that extends past the two-year limit should be given another six months to complete the program.

Many of the recommendations can be accomplished through policy changes by the Department of Transitional Assistance, but increasing the work requirement needs legislative approval.