BU Fans Bring The Noise Against BC

If you believe there is no difference between one hockey game and the next, head to Walter Brown Arena on Sunday. You may not be able to get in to actually see the game, but don’t worry, the doors can’t contain the electricity.

The Boston University hockey team takes on its biggest rival, Boston College, at 3 p.m. on Sunday after a game on Friday at BC, and this game isn’t just a big one for the players. Fans get into this one a little more as well.

“[The atmosphere] is definitely different for hockey,” said Jeremy Hollander, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences. “My friend went to get in line to get tickets at 6 a.m. and he wasn’t the first one there: That’s definitely a change.”

Indeed, some fans reported getting to the ticket office at 2 p.m., and finding standing room tickets were their last resort.

The lack of tickets is reflective of a fierce rivalry between two schools sharing the same street. Since the Terriers and Eagles first met in the 1917-1918 season, The Icedogs hold the edge, posting a 105-88-15 record against their Newton rivals. But in recent years, the Chestnut Hill team has caught up to its historically more successful Boston rivals, including a heartwrenching (for BU fans at least) loss in the Beanpot Championship game last year, as BC ended BU’s six-year stranglehold on the ‘Pot and coinciding title, “Best College Hockey Team in all of Boston — and Occasionally Newton or Cambridge.”

With the rivalry deepening over the last few years, BU fans are quick to support their team, and to do so at extremely high decibels.

“For the home, non-Beanpot games against BC, the whole place is loud,” said CAS and School of Management junior Michael Klein. “It’s probably the loudest I’ve ever heard a hockey game.”

The noise has not escaped the players’ attention — or their ears. This is especially true when looking at the cavernous home arena of the Eagles, Kelley Rink at Conte Forum, which holds 7,884 fans, compared to 3,807 at Walter Brown. But this isn’t the only factor, as both players and fans alike feel the Icedogs’ faithful are more enthusiastic and louder than the self-proclaimed “Super Fans” of BC.

“Walter Brown Arena is such a great arena, it’s got such a low ceiling and the sound is just held down,” said senior defenseman Pat Aufiero. “Obviously, because it’s my home rink, I like being at Walter Brown more, but Conte is so much bigger, and it’s nice, but the fans aren’t as into the game as they are at Walter Brown.”

Klein hasn’t witnessed a battle of Birds vs. Dogs at Kelley Rink, but has seen a battle of the Birds, when the Eagles took on the River Hawks of the University of Massachusetts at Lowell. He concurs with Aufiero’s assessment, saying he noticed a decided lack of loud at BC, something he can’t say is true of Walter Brown.

“I agree completely, even though my only reference is the UMass-Lowell game,” Klein said. “It’s not a question who’s louder. When I was there, they started [junior goaltender] Tim Kelleher, and it seemed like the most excited the fans got was when they were chanting ‘Put in Matti [Kaltiainen, the freshman goaltender].'”

Of course, Eagles fans have a different sporting view, one that Hollander points out is larger nationally.

“BC has a bigger, more successful athletic program, so a game against BU isn’t as big of a deal for them,” Hollander said. “While for BU fans, it’s the biggest sport we have. The rivalry is a bit one-sided.”

With nationally prominent football and basketball programs, Hollander raises a good point, although he does agree that the fans of BU’s hockey squad are much more dedicated, something that is obvious with a look into the crowd.

By now, to know about the hockey program is to be aware of “The Song,” also known as “Eat ‘Em Up,” which used to be played before each BU power play. However, the obscenity BU fans used to replace “Eat,” was protested as too vulgar by some, so the band replaced the song.

That has done little to slow down the Terrier faithful however, and Section 8 — traditionally the seating area of the most intense fans of the arena — still leads an out-of-tune, off-time A capella chorus of the fight song at the beginning of every man-advantage, during every game, against BC, or not.

And no look into the BU fans is complete with out at least mentioning the Hairy One.

If you’re lucky enough to have a ticket on Sunday, look to Section 8 if you hear the opening notes of Black Sabbath’s “Ironman.” Brian Zive, a 1994 SMG graduate, will be assuming his more infamous alter-ego.

Sasquatch will grace the rink.

“When Sasquatch takes his shirt off, it just pumps everybody up,” Aufiero said.

When all is said and done, the fans will no doubt leave Walter Brown hoarse, and hopefully, happy about a BU win, especially after the team lost 3-1 to BC back on Nov. 17, in what was one of its worst performances of the season.

“I hope [they can play better],” Hollander said. “There are always a lot of guys from Massachusetts on the teams, and they always talk about how they grew up watching these games, so you think that will spur them on.”

Klein also said he thinks the Icedogs can bounce back and solidify their status as the best team to play on Commonwealth Avenue.

“Last time, despite the fast start, it was earlier in the season,” Klein said. “The lines weren’t set yet. Now, with the conference season going a little more, the team should be very motivated to play well.”

And the team is looking forward to having a packed arena, something the rivalry has lacked in the recent past.

“It seems like the last couple of years they’ve scheduled the games when students were on break and it hasn’t been as loud,” Aufiero said. “It’s good to see that the games come when students are back this year, because the atmosphere for the games is just incredible.”

One thing is for sure. Win or lose on Friday night at Kelley Rink, Walter Brown will be rocking come Sunday afternoon.