Failing To Attract Student Interest

Wow. Someone sure thinks a lot of himself, and that person’s name is Zachary Coseglia, as is evidenced in his recent perspective, “Finishing the work they’re in.” Mr. Coseglia seems to be living in an enchanted fairy land, in which he is Abraham Lincoln, Michael Moffo is Teddy Roosevelt and Boston University students actually care about the Student Union. Here’s a heads up for you, Mr. Coseglia: No one cares. What? No one cares? But why not? Maybe if the Student Union did something more than just argue in vain about the guest policy and then resign, students wouldn’t be confused when they heard the name of a Union member. Hence my confusion over Mr. Coseglia being so devastated over the resignation of Michael Moffo. Mr. Coseglia is “at a loss.” So am I. Why should I care about the Student Union president I didn’t vote for being replaced by someone else whose name I also don’t know? I would also like to congratulate the Student Union on dispensing 10,000 BUnited buttons after Sept. 11. I’m sure this clever use of BU and “unity” on a catchy button brought comfort to many, as opposed to a genuine attempt to comfort people who have had to deal with tragedy. I’m also glad this Student Union board “sought to work with the administration rather than against it,” as that has surely facilitated their attempts to get nothing done. As Coseglia admits, “a ‘politician’s’ word isn’t worth a whole lot.” News flash: you’re not a politician. For the brief moments when my attention is drawn to the Student Union, I picture a group of people with slightly more power than the Student Council that planned my high school prom, and twice the pretension. I certainly don’t even come close to imagining any sort of forum resembling current day political practices, though from what I’m told, there’s about as much in-fighting. I would like to make it clear, however, that I am not against the Student Union. To be fair, I did go to see “Shrek” for free on the BU Beach last fall. If they had more events like that and less false promises about cable and ridiculous grandstanding like Mr. Coseglia dispensed in yesterday’s column, maybe I would care. Unlike myself, he claims to “have an incredible amount of respect for the potential of the Student Union.” Good for you, Mr. President.