STAFF EDIT: Remembering The Issues

Last year, three million people around the world died of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, also known as the AIDS virus. AIDS is an illness that continues to plague the world as scientists scramble to find cures. It’s nice to know in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, President Bush has not forgotten about an issue as important as the AIDS virus.

In his new budget proposal, Bush allotted $200 million for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. According to the plan, $100 million will come from Health and Human Services, while the U.S. Agency for International Development will provide the other half. The fund, backed by the United Nations, is a wise investment, so long as the money is used for its correct purposes.

Aid such as this is only effective if it is used properly. Two hundred million dollars is a large sum of money to go toward a specific group. It is important that the administration researches into the money’s recipient, confirming that the money will be put to good use.

Bush must be commended for his work on issues not involving the Sept. 11 attacks. While the repercussions of those attacks still need to be addressed, there are other problems in the world that cannot be forgotten. There are countries seriously lacking in medical capabilities, and despite our own medical advances, they continue to deal with AIDS-inflicted deaths on a regular basis.

The action of putting funds toward helping prevent and cure diseases shows Bush can be more than a wartime president. The war efforts are definitely vital to maintaining stability in the United States, but they cannot be allowed to overshadow other outstanding issues.