RE: Sin Bin ‘ Forgettin Sportsmanship

I would like to respond if I may to the two articles written about Sunday’s BU vs. UNH game. I was there, and I wasjust as upset as anyone else. I definitely didn’t throw anything, basically cause I had nothing to throw, and also because nothing would hurt a guy in that much padding save for a big rock. I merely invited him up into Section 8 for a neighborly chat, and pointed at our four championship banners to remind him that UNH Men’s Hockey will never win one of their own with players such as himself. However, Ayers did deserve every bottle, every lighter, every beer cup. So did their whole team. In fact, the only smart person on their bench was their trainer, who ran across the ice faster than I thought it was possible to do in sneakers.

Fans in Cleveland and New Orleans were mentioned. These were different situations, that had to do with referee judgements. That is disgraceful, because the refs are trying to do their jobs, and are faced with difficult decisions. There was no difficult decision for Ayers. He is only a sophomore, and last time I checked, he isn’t projected as the #1 pick in the draft next summer. He’ll be back to Walter Brown three more times. I’d be willing to bet he sits for those games. I’d be willing to bet a lot, unless UNH only has one goalie at those times. In any event, Ayers didn’t help himself much by taunting us and then hiding in his net like a little girl. That only made fans angrier. And you’ll also notice that the police made no attempts to arrest anyone hanging over the side of Section 8 screaming at UNH down the tunnel, as the police so often do, because they knew we had been baited, and made no attempt to control the crowd. Alan Weinberger and his staff were the only ones who did, and Alan is just trying to keep the peace. The police just stood there. There’s a good reason for that.

In the end, this game really does mean very little. UNH winning the regular season title would likely have happened whether they won or lost on Sunday, so I can understand your disgust from that standpoint. However, give BU fans a break. Go around to other Hockey East arenas. BU has by far the best fans. BC is silent during games, Northeastern is more concerned with telling people to get off their cell phones than watching the game, and the list goes on and on. BU fans are always the loudest, and usually the most intelligent Hockey East fans. And we have Sasquatch. So take it easy with the disgusting bit.

Paul S