Take Jokes Less Seriously

I am writing in response to Johanna Womer Benjamin’s “Watch what you write” letter that appeared in The Daily Free Press Jan. 30. I have gone past finding letters like this offensive, and now I just find them funny. The women’s liberation movement was about equality, not superiority. I hope Ms. Benjamin is not proposing that from now on only men are made fun of because making fun of women is “sexist.” That idea just changes who is being discriminated against instead of making any real progress. Women have made so much progress in the last 100 years in terms of becoming equal to men. As a part of that, it is our continual individual responsibility to demonstrate we are as capable as men. If a woman decides not to prove herself and because of that falls into a stereotype, it is her own fault. To further illustrate this point, I recommend watching “Legally Blonde” with Reese Witherspoon. In addition, I find it ridiculous for Ms. Benjamin to call Danny Baram stupid solely based on one comment that had nothing to do with the point of the article. Who is being thick-headed now? To Ms. Benjamin and all who share her views, the world will take you more serious when you start acting it and lighten up a little.