Wellness Center Promotes Ice Cream Over Booze On 21st Birthday

For many years, Boston University has been sending birthday cards encouraging students turning 21 to drink responsibly.

The Wellness Center claims 70 percent of college students binge drink in order to have a good time and celebrate. In order to prevent alcohol poisoning, many schools, including BU, have started sending birthday cards to remind students to drink responsibly on and after their 21st birthday.

Kelly Kent, project manager of the Wellness Center, said BU’s birthday cards not only urge students to drink responsibly, but also include notes on watching out for friends who are drinking. Cards also include a coupon for free Ben and Jerry’s ice cream at the Union Court.

“The Wellness Center provides information to students through the distribution of relevant literature as well as through the resource library,” Kent said. “Wellness Center staff frequently facilitates workshops that focus on alcohol education and prevention as well as information regarding BU policies and Massachusetts law.”

The Wellness Center also encourages students to abstain from alcohol by sponsoring alcohol-free events.

Fifty-five schools nationwide send birthday cards similar to BU’s, according to Georgetown University’s newspaper, The Hoya.

The birthday card movement was started by an organization called BRAD, Be Responsible About Drinking. Cindy and John McCue started the six-member organization after their son died of alcohol poisoning while celebrating his 21st birthday, according to The Hoya.

Although the program is meant to keep students from harm, students themselves said the card would not factor into their decision about drinking legally for the first time.

“I’m the only one who can influence my thinking … based on my own reasons, and not someone else’s opinion,” said College of General Studies freshman Rob Burlison.

Garrett Warfield, a College of Arts and Sciences freshman, said the cards may be useful in “increasing awareness” about the dangers of alcohol, but the message was already apparent.

“At 21 you should at least be mature enough to know the flip side [of drinking],” Warfield said.