What’s ‘Next’ For The Boston Stage?

Fresh. Immediate. Real. Theater, like all art, reflects society. Since September 11, Americans have been challenged to contemplate society in a broader scope, and theater is beginning to mirror the effects. What is tragedy? How should an individual react to suffering? What makes life meaningful?

Justin Waldman (Huntington Theatre Company’s Assistant Artistic Director) and Matt August (Associate Director of “The Full Monty” and a freelance director based in New York) created Next Stages, Boston’s newest theater company, to deal with these questions in an innovative and relevant way. “We are growing up in a global society where there are bigger issues,” Waldman said, “and plays should speak about the world in a larger scope.” Therefore, Next Stages is committed to “identifying and producing work by and with emerging artists that deals with the social and global concerns facing their generation.” Waldman went on to say that he is looking for “realistic plays that will identify with and deal with the problems that face our world today.”

Next Stages’ debut production of “Over It,” written by Marc Ardito and directed by Waldman, definitely addresses today’s concerns. Five dissatisfied adults struggle through convoluted romances and unstable careers in New York City. Tuck is a ruthless day trader who declares, “There is no ‘Why’ in ‘Euphoria!'” His feel-good philosophy works (as long as he has money) and finding happiness seems simple. Annie cheats on her boyfriend Billy with her physical trainer, but she can confidently assert “I like me!,” so everything is apparently OK. Meanwhile, Billy drifts in and out of reality, thrilled to realize that the price of cocaine has dropped, while Helen and Matt immerse themselves in unfulfilling work to block out their heartache.

Tension builds, and when every situation is in a perfectly precarious position, tragedy strikes and the stock market crashes. “All trading will cease,” the loudspeaker announcement blares, “while we remove the bodies.” (Whoa, what did he just say?) The loudspeaker announcement is one of many startlingly serious moments that is juxtaposed with the mundane and the ridiculous, creating a whiplash effect that leaves the audience reeling. At times, this device is appropriate and well executed, but sometimes the boundaries between comedy and tragedy are so blurred that neither genre is as effective as it could have been.

The characters in Ardito’s play are very realistic, and their reactions to tragedy are not unlike such reactions of many Americans. The most despicable character uses the chaos to his advantage and exploits people’s desperation. Thoughtful characters reflect on their lives and have epiphanies about what is truly important. “Over It” ends without clear resolutions, but hope and healing are in sight. “Nothing about being here, living here, working here is OK,” one character says, “but we go on.”

This play is a thought-provoking story of conflict and tragedy, change and resolution, an insightful illustration of the issues Americans face right now. Next Stages’ debut performance lives up to the theater company’s bold mission statement: it deals with today’s issues creatively and powerfully. When asked to give Muse readers one reason to attend a Next Stages production this year, Waldman responded, “Here you’re going to see a type of play that you won’t see anywhere else … you’re going to see a play that is young, that is fresh, that is new. It’s not your average theater experience, but something that will really speak to this generation.”

“Over It” runs through February 10 at the Huntington Theatre Company’s Rehearsal Hall. Curtains are at 8:00 PM, Thursday through Sunday. For information regarding ticket sales, call Ticketmaster at 617-931-2000. There is a $5 discount available for students.