LOLLIPOPS ‘ CRISPS: Rape Crisis Center Would Reassure

One day, something at Marsh Chapel caught my eye. As I walked closer, I realized T-shirts hanging on clothespins enclosed the entire plaza. My curiosity caused me to stop. I’m thankful I did.

That day, there was a collection of shirts made by BU female students who had been raped, molested or abused. These T-shirts told their stories. There was a variety of color in the shirts, some designed elaborately, while others were very simple. I walked slowly, moved by their courage and saddened by their words. “I held on to my virginity until I was 21, and then you took it, my brother.” I don’t think I’ll ever forget that as long as I live. For the rest of my day, I thought about that T-shirt and all the secrets so many people keep buried inside of them, as well as how helpful it must be that these people, at the very least, have one another. I thought about the terror, the scars and the tears these women must have gone through the night they were abused, and the hell that each day afterward must inevitably be for them. I thought these people were the bravest people I had ever encountered.

Recently our campus has been stirred by another sexual assault, this one turning into a lawsuit that has unraveled into a soap opera for the local media. Kristin Roslonski, a former BU student, is threatening to sue Boston University for what she calls “gender discrimination” and covering up an alleged rape that took place last year. She claims she was discouraged from reporting the incident to the police and was later punished unfairly for the actions that took place that evening.

I have been following this case very closely. Roslonski acknowledges that she was drinking “excessive amounts of vodka” the evening that she kissed her “assailant” and later engaged in consensual oral sex with the individual. She then claims things got out of hand.

BU conducted a thorough investigation into the matter, hoping to discover the truth behind the accusation. What they found were some freshmen drinking illegally in a dormitory, a very inebriated girl coming onto a young man and sexual relations taking place. Both students were reprimanded for drinking in the dorms, and Roslonski was handed a suspension. She was outraged. But the only outrage I find in this matter is how drawn out this young lady has made this matter.

Don’t get me wrong, I whole-heartedly agree that forced sex or any form of rape is a despicable act and should not be tolerated at all. But this has gone far enough. Elicit details from that night couldn’t even be published in this very publication, but instead appeared in the Boston Phoenix. The article included excerpts and statements from BU’s disciplinarian, Darryl DeLuca, and the letter he sent the former student. I sat shocked and engaged in the story, as the article graphically depicted what was said and what occurred that evening. And all I could do was think of this young lady’s parents. Think about the looks on their faces when newspapers discuss the use of a vibrator on their daughter and the consequential vaginal swelling. Do I believe this young woman was raped? Absolutely not. Was I there? No, but other eye witnesses were.

All this comes down to is a young lady who fumbled the ball in a very important moment and made a mistake. We all do things that we regret when we drink sometimes, but that doesn’t justify the actions Roslonski has set forth. She has attempted to make herself a martyr as a result of her poor decision-making that night, and in return, she has only made herself look more foolish. BU will inevitably be the on the side of the victor once this mess had cleared up, because Roslonski simply does not have a strong case. But it is imperative that Boston University does not try to sweep the remnants of this mess under the carpet when it blows over, but instead, uses it as a building point of progress and learning. This acts is yet another example of why BU needs a rape crisis center on campus to deal with the emotional stress victims go through and as a confidential place where women can feel safe.

BU has delayed such progress for fear that it will give our school negative publicity, as incoming freshman will see the center and immediately feel at high risk of sexual assault. Our school is in the midst of a metropolitan city, and parents already have their concerns. But the establishment of a rape crisis center would only reassure them of the safety in sending their child to this University and would also act as a safe haven for those who truly need such a place.

To all of you who had T-shirts hanging in Marsh Chapel that day, I commend you for your bravery, honesty and your ability to give that courage to others around you. I will continue to back the creation of the rape crisis center on your behalf and for all of the female students at our school who feel they have no one to talk to. I only hope you show no support for this young lady who hopes to gain a paycheck out of her ordeal and in turn insults the very real and horrific ordeal you will live with forever. Ms. Roslonski, if you won’t drop this lawsuit to save yourself and your family any further embarrassment, do it for the young ladies who have truly suffered and those you cowardly stand behind and claim to represent.