Roxbury Man Shot By Police

A Boston police officer shot and fatally wounded a South End resident yesterday morning shortly before 4 a.m.

According to police, the officer made a motor vehicle stop in Roxbury near Elm Hill Avenue and Crawford Street, a one-way street, when he spotted the victim driving with his lights off going the wrong way down the one-way street.

The exact events that led up to the shooting are still under investigation, said Boston Police spokesman David Estrada.

According to a report by the Associated Press, the officer attempted to stop the car and shoot when the victim would not pull over.

The victim was transported by Boston Emergency Medical Services to Boston Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. The officer, whose name has not been released, was taken to another hospital, where he was treated for stress and shock and later released, Estrada said.

A preliminary investigation revealed that before the victim was stopped on Crawford Street, he became aware of another Boston Police cruiser following him. The officer then lost sight of him.

The officer will be placed on administrative leave while an investigation is underway, Estrada said.

The victim has been identified as William Murray, Jr., 37, of the South End.