STAFF EDIT: Medical Education

Every time the television is on, they are unavoidable. Commercials advertising new drug prescriptions for almost any kind of disease imaginable air more frequently than ever, persuading consumers to research their healing options.

Drug companies tripled the amount of advertising dollars they spent on commercials between 1996-2000, according to an Associated Press report, largely shifting their audience from doctors to the public. By doing so, the companies are provoking the public to express to their physicians interest in new medications. This is a wise business decision on behalf of the drug companies, as they are gaining more customers. However, it can be dangerous, as most people are not qualified to make their own medical decisions.

This is where the doctors must step in. These advertised medications are unavailable without a doctor’s prescription. Doctors have all the control in the situation, and they must use it wisely. They must remain truthful in their determinations as to whether or not their patients should take specific drugs. It is important to avoid allowing money or hypochondriac patients to affect their prescribing methods.

Additionally, patients must also take some matters into their own hands. It is up to the consumer to research the drugs advertised, deciding for themselves if the medicine will be beneficial. After informing themselves on different products, patients have the opportunity to question physicians about their options.

In this situation, physicians and patients need to work together. Patients should inform themselves about their options only to ask their physicians for their educated opinions. Both parties must be responsible, otherwise they have to suffer the consequences of their uninformed actions.