NAACP Holds Jazz Event

Numerous Boston University poets and jazz musicians performed last night for a crowd of about 60 students at the NAACP-sponsored “Urban Expression” open-microphone night at Espresso Royale.

Gabrielle Saylor, president of Boston University’s National Association for the Advancement of Colored People chapter, said one purpose of the event was to encourage the integration of students.

“What it is really about is fostering a community within BU of people that might not necessarily mix in another venue,” said Saylor, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Saylor said the lack of integration among students is a problem on campus.

“You get comfortable in your little circle of friends, whether it is by race, gender or your major, and you don’t get to meet other people,” Saylor said. “Music is one of the common denominators in our world.”

The event opened with the blues and jazz sounds of musician Jeremiah Griffin’s performance of “Summertime,” followed by Will Cole-French’s recitation of a poem entitled “More than Words and Money,” by Harv Oostdyk.

Rachel Hymen, the president of BU’s Poetry Fanatics club, took the stage next, eliciting laughter from the audience with her lively performance of humorous poetry.

Jeremiah Shepard was the next performer, both singing and performing poetry with themes ranging from love to politics. Shepard stressed the importance of being open to other cultures.

According to Saylor, the NAACP sponsored the event to show the organization in a different light. “[We put on the event] because of the fact that a lot of times the NAACP is only associated with the controversial, and that’s not really the bigger focus of NAACP, just one of them,” said Saylor. “We want the NAACP to have a different face.”

Saylor was pleased with the turnout at the show, which was much larger than she expected. “It is so nice to see a mix of people,” Saylor said.

School of Management sophomore Zia Bartley, an organizer of the event, said she was also pleased with the turnout.

“[The turnout] is excellent. We were really worried about getting the support of all students, but we definitely got it,” Bartley said.

Kate Wright, a junior in the School of Education, said she enjoyed the performances. “I think it is great so many people are here, and that it is so open and there is a lot of variety.”

“It is beautiful,” said CAS junior Adam Friedman. “This should be a weekly event here, and I just wish they had advertised better.”