STAFF EDIT: Amend, Not Clarify

Sodomy laws dating back centuries were clarified by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court last week, allowing consensual acts of sex to take place in private locations. Though this is a step in the right direction, it fails to go all the way in its efforts to augment the rights of homosexuals.

These laws were reinterpreted to allow private, consensual, adult oral and anal sex, which have long been illegal in Massachusetts. However, no official amendment was made, and some groups say the rules are hard to enforce. According to the Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders website, the definition of a public location “depends on the circumstances.” Furthermore, it is easy for alleged offenders to deny any public acts of sexual behavior without witnesses.

Laws regarding sodomy most directly affect homosexuals. These laws represent sexual freedom, to which the gay community has an absolute right. This recent clarification of sexual rights does not extend as far as it should in this day and age.

A full amendment to the laws would be a symbol of acceptance of the gay community. Massachusetts has always been a leader in rights for homosexuals, and this amendment would be a necessary action to continue this quest for equality. Many laws created in Massachusetts were based on the state’s Puritan background. It is time for the government to look toward updating its rules.

An amendment is just one action that would have a positive social impact if the government was not so afraid to go for it. It is extremely important for the government to follow through on this preliminary action with this amendment. It is necessary as a commentary on the state’s support of its gay community.