Harvard Activists Protest Low Wages

Led by a sign proclaiming “Justice for Janitors,” approximately 500 local students, workers and other community members protested Harvard University’s janitorial wages in a rally yesterday that resulted in nine arrests in Harvard Yard.

The rally was the latest in a long line of protests against Harvard’s refusal to pay some employees the Cambridge living wage.

“Yet again, Harvard balked at the janitors’ demands for a living wage,” said Student Union protest coordinator Emma Mackinnon, a Harvard freshman. “The janitors’ demands don’t pose a problem to anybody else except for Harvard. Now they are talking about going into arbitration, which is just delaying the inevitable.”

The protest began with a rally in Harvard Square, and the group proceeded to cross Massachusetts Avenue and circle Harvard Yard.

“We think the janitors and Harvard’s students are fighting for a valid cause, so we decided to cross the Charles and show them our support,” said Wellesley College sophomore Abigail Horton.

“We figure if there is anything we can do for this cause, we would do it,” agreed Horton’s friend, Wellesley senior Dana Williams.

The protest ended back in Harvard Square, where several students, union workers and janitors joined hands and blocked traffic along Massachusetts Avenue.

“Civil disobedience is a way of telling the big shots at Harvard, including the alumni, that playing with peoples’ lives isn’t something Harvard managers are going to get away with anymore,” said Frank Morley, a Harvard custodian. “Janitors can’t win this fight alone. We’re asking for your support today and all the way until our contract is signed.”

A few minutes later, the Cambridge police stepped in and arrested nine members participating in civil disobedience, while janitors, students and alumni continued to shout, “Living wage just can’t wait.”

After five sessions of bargaining, Harvard is offering janitors a starting wage of $11 per hour, which is lower than what janitors make in such area universities as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Boston University and of less purchasing power than what Harvard janitors made 10 years ago.

“It is a great cause, and I am here to show my support,” said Harvard senior Ari Weisband. “It is not right that the janitors are not receiving the amount they should. It is not fair and will not be tolerated.”

“It is completely unacceptable for the university to keep its workers’ wages at outrageously low levels,” said Harvard senior Steven Smith. “It is inappropriate for Harvard to announce that the university will set things right in negotiations, only to have Harvard’s negotiators refuse to bring workers to the levels they were at seven years ago.”

Janitors are demanding a starting wage of $13.40. Protesters said this amount would allow the janitors to live in Cambridge and provide for their families, Right now, many say they are scrapping by on nothing and are barely able to pay for Cambridge housing, let alone necessities like food and health care.

“The janitors have made it clear that they will not back down, and we students and alumni will continue to stand with them and intensify our efforts to send a clear message to President Summers and his negotiators,” said Jermaine Hughes, a first-year law student at Harvard. “This is the year the sorry record of injustice comes to an end.”

Yet the janitors are not the only thing on Harvard’s mind. After contract negotiations with janitors end, Harvard is to begin negotiations with unions representing the food service workers and guards to reevaluate wages in those sectors.