Sept. 11 Victim’s Son Discusses Causes

Jeremy Glick, co-editor and author of “Another World is Possible: Conversations in a Time of Terror,” said last night at Northeastern University that America itself is to blame for the Sept. 11 attacks.

Speaking at the university’s Progressive Student Alliance meeting, Glick said America’s funding and abetting of oppressive regimes led directly to the terrorist attacks last fall.

Glick’s father died in the North Tower of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11.

“I’m not here as example A,” he said. “I’ve been an activist for 13 years; this is definitely not sensational.”

Glick, a 26-year-old graduate student and public relations consultant for Wu-Tang Clan, compiled the book, the first published collection of responses to Sept. 11. Contributors include Angela Davis, Deepak Chopra, Fidel Castro and EMS workers and firefighters. He said the book explores the roots of anti-American terrorism and offers solutions for preventing future atrocities.

Glick spoke intimately with the group of about 30, sharing the first piece he wrote after his father’s death, “Why the Flag is Not Comforting.”

“It is unfortunate I cannot discuss the effects of Sept. 11 with my dad,” Glick said. “By creating a landscape for terrorism, the American empire stole my strongest debate partner.”

Glick first discussed the numerous American military interventions, driving home that the United States has consistently undermined Middle Eastern leftist governments in favor of what he called repressive tyrannical regimes.

“This undermining provided the momentum and finance for Sept. 11,” Glick said.

From a victim’s point of view, Glick said, “Your pain is not part of a national tragedy. The ruling class politicians perform hollow acts of empathy. The mechanisms of American imperialism is what is responsible for my losing a loved one.”

Glick said he is an activist because “I don’t want to be in danger because Bush wants to turn Central Asia into an oil field. I profoundly enjoy my life. My dad was only 53, in perfect health.”

He said the American government is unilaterally against the fascism it has caused.

“The fair thing to do is have the world courts intervene,” Glick said. “Bring [former President] Reagan and [former President] George [H.W. Bush] Sr. to justice, too.”

Glick stressed study and organization as strong methods of combating the “war frenzy” and promoting worldwide equality.

“The purpose of this book is to develop a network so that people won’t be alienated to the idea of change and so that people realize how much people are doing that is progressive,” Glick said.

“The book is not dogmatic,” Glick continued. “The views are varied, ranging from liberal to extremely progressive. I hope it will help you think. I discuss ideas, not prescriptions.”

The book is also an attempt to rationally describe the current national climate that revolves around fear, he said.

“Everyone is calling this a ‘time of terror.’ There are too many people buying into mass hysteria,” Glick said.

Glick also said the recent trend of rallying behind firefighters and other new national heroes is part of the national hysteria.

Neal Ahern, 22, of Olympia, Wash., said he appreciated Glick’s personal experience and perspective.

“He contradicts the propaganda of avenging justice for dead relatives,” he said. “I’m an active community organizer, and I’m here to see what is going on the East Coast. Here there is definitely a lack of dialogue. It’s frustrating that people don’t want to speak out.”