A/B CRIME LOG: Armed Robbers Strike Allston, Brighton

The following were taken from last week’s District 14 Allston-Brighton crime logs.

Two armed robberies were committed in nearby Allston and Brighton locations last week with police unable to apprehend suspects in either case.

The first robbery occurred on Hano Street in Allston at 8 p.m., on Saturday, March 2. The victim, a 39-year-old male, was walking home when he was allegedly approached from behind by two men, approximately 18-20 years old, who reportedly displayed a handgun.

The suspects allegedly told the victim to face a parked car before removing the victim’s wallet, which contained no money. The suspects reportedly took the victim’s personal papers and ran toward Harvard Avenue.

Police reports noted the victim said he did not see the suspects’ faces, as both reportedly had hoods pulled over their heads.

A second armed robbery was reported on March 3 around 9:40 p.m. A man told police he was walking home on Greylock Street in Brighton when two men approached him, with one brandishing a handgun.

One of the suspects allegedly forced the victim up against a wall and emptied his pockets, taking his wallet, which held his personal papers. The other suspect then asked for the victim’s bank pin number, which the victim refused to give. The suspect then allegedly threatened to shoot the victim, after which the victim reportedly complied with the suspect and revealed his pin number.

Both suspects reportedly wore dark, hooded sweatshirts and were approximately 18-20 years old.

ASSAULT AND BATTERY

A 26-year-old male graduate student was reportedly assaulted on Brighton Avenue around 9:50 a.m. March 4.

The victim was walking on Brighton Avenue near International Bicycle when he heard running footsteps from behind and was reportedly struck suddenly several times on the back and side of his head, forcing him to the sidewalk.

The suspect, described as a 21-year-old male with light brown hair and wearing a teal down jacket, allegedly proceeded to kick the victim in the side and back.

Police searched the area to no avail, and no arrests were made.

A nearby Rent-A-Car employee said a man who fit the description is known to them and “hangs out” at Amvets Thrift Store and Hess Gas Station.

A 22-year-old female student was allegedly assaulted by another woman at 122 Harvard Ave. around 4:25 p.m. on March 1. The victim reported she and her friend were walking down the street when the suspect allegedly punched her in the left eye.

The suspect, a 29-year-old woman with no reported relationship to the victim, reportedly began to yell at the victim and scream at people in passing cars.

Upon arrival, police were able to locate and identify the suspect but did not make an arrest. They advised the victim to seek assault and battery complaints in Brighton District Court.

AUTO ACCIDENT

Police arrested a 41-year-old man in Brighton around 3:30 p.m. on March 1 for drunk driving.

Officers first responded to a call for an automobile accident at 679 Washington St. The victim, a 58-year-old male, reported he heard a collision while inside his home on Washington Street and came outside to find the suspect had hit his parked car, which sustained damage to the rear end and driver’s side. He also reported the man was trying to leave the scene of the accident in a Dodge pick-up truck with major damage to the right front end.

Neighbors reportedly intervened, and the suspect stopped his truck to wait for police. A police interview with the defendant reportedly revealed “a very strong odor of alcoholic beverage on his breath, red bloodshot and glassy eyes and a slurred speech.” The man said he had “two beers at lunch time.”

The man, Peter J. Conley of 16 Summit St. in Newton, was unable to complete field sobriety tests due to his “unsteadiness on his feet.” He was placed in custody and transported to the police station for booking.