SUBURBAN LEGENDS: America – Take A Stand On Israel

Remember when you were younger and the answer to everything was always, “We’ll see?” These words are spoken by parents as a way of appeasing a child without ever giving a definitive answer. Right now, it seems as though America is playing the role of indecisive parent when it comes to its policy in the Middle East, taking a “wait and see” attitude even as violence continues to escalate in Israel, with the death toll rising by the day.

As we commemorate the six-month anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, we cannot forget that every single day in Israel, innocent civilians are at risk in the face of suicide bombers with no regard for the value of human life. It’s time for the Bush administration and Americans in general to realize, or just remember, America and Israel are ideologically linked in a way that should unequivocally unite them in the current war against terrorism — a war that includes Yassir Arafat and the Palestinian extremists who look to him for leadership. Currently, America is too ambiguous in its policies and not vocal enough in its role as a mediator in the Middle East. America, as with Israel, maintains a policy of no negotiations with terrorists. Why, then, does it seem the Bush administration simply spouts the same tired calls for peace at a time surely demanding something more?

We are too quick to forget. In an age when swarms of news bulletins become engulfed in an endless stream of information, it can become easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. Even as America struggles to form a coalition against terrorism while forming alliances with previously antagonistic countries, terrorists attack Israel with an unsettling regularity. These terrorists possess strikingly similar ideals to the al-Qaida members who destroyed the World Trade Center. They not only hate the Jewish people, they hate democracy, capitalism and the entire Western way of life as represented by both America and Israel. And yet some dismiss these terrorist attacks in Israel, committed by members of such groups as Hamass and Hezbollah, as nothing more than justified acts in a war between two countries.

Israel has undoubtedly made mistakes in its fight to defend itself from terrorism, and so has the United States. However, this does not change the fact that the men, women and children being killed in cafes, nightclubs and shopping malls in Jerusalem and throughout Israel are not casualties of war. They, like the workers in the World Trade Center, are the unfortunate victims of a cowardly brand of suicidal terrorism that does not distinguish between soldiers and civilians.

Imagine every activity, every trip outside of your own home, carries with it the risk of death. Before Sept. 11, most Americans couldn’t fathom having this type of mentality. But Israelis have had to live with this dangerous reality for years, knowing they live in a country surrounded by neighbors who do not share their ideals of democracy and freedom. Israel has fought more wars in 50 years than most countries have in 200.

Now, the violence is increasing once again. The problem is Israel, as with America, faces an enemy who tends to hide in the shadows. Yassir Arafat is a leader who hides behind extremist groups, letting all-too-eager suicide bombers do his dirty work and prevent him from ever having to be held fully accountable for the actions of Palestinian extremists. Similarly, the Taliban government of Afghanistan was not directly responsible for the attacks of Sept. 11: It was Osama bin Laden and his network of terrorists. Still, the United States had no qualms about dismantling and replacing the Taliban regime. Why, then, is there so much support and empathy directed toward Yassir Arafat? Political sensitivities? Diplomatic interests?

It is clear Arafat does not represent all Palestinian people. Obviously there are those who simply wish for peace. There are those who wish for a Palestinian homeland. There are even those who might argue the Palestinians have a historical and spiritual claim to the Holy Land, yet they would not resort to terrorism to prove it. However, Israel is not negotiating with these people. Israel is fighting to defend its borders and guarantee the safety of its citizens, something America now understands all too well. So enough with the rhetoric and mincing of words; it’s time for our government to step up to the plate and realize Israel’s battle is also our own.

Certainly there are no easy solutions to ending the violence. The same old treaties and plans for peace will not cut it at this point. Arafat has repeatedly not held up his end of the bargain, even as he was offered deals that saw Israel giving up more and more land. Arafat failed to keep the peace for seven days, let alone seven months. The problem is Arafat feels he can manipulate us. It wasn’t long ago that Arafat, a man recently linked to a vast shipment of terrorist weaponry, had certain American politicians calling for the creation of a Palestinian state as a stop-gap measure. It’s easy to think narrowly, to conveniently separate and disassociate Palestinian extremists from al-Qaida and America’s own War on Terrorism. The fact is these groups are connected, as are the goals and ideals of Israel and America. In the face of escalating violence, Israel looks to America for support, and our answer cannot be, “We’ll see.” Only a simple yes or no will suffice.