STAFF EDIT: Listen To Student Body

Backed by students, the Boston University Student Union announced the details of its proposal for amendments to the Guest Policy. A number of students have said they are in favor of a change, though a remarkable amount of students also agree with the existence of a Guest Policy. The student body has spoken about making a compromise, and the administration should seek compromise as well.

The Union’s Guest Policy proposal includes allowing students to have access to all dormitory-style residences 24 hours a day, with a sign-in system established for the hours throughout the night. Additionally, the Union has requested lenience in the overnight visitor policy, including extending an emergency pass to allow for spontaneity. Most importantly, however, the Union has repeatedly stated its intentions to meet with members of the administration to hear their ideas and work together on the project. Listening skills and compromise will be the key players in provoking change.

It can not be stated enough: The Guest Policy is an incredibly important issue to the students of BU. Students have made it one of their most pressing concerns, and not without reason. Judging by the interest shown in a possible change in the policy, the results of the change will inevitably result in an increase in student morality on campus.

The responsibility of the administration is not just to make sure its students are receiving a quality education, but to provide an environment for students’ maturation into adulthood. The present Guest Policy is parental in its restriction of students, and it is not conducive to the kind of personal growth students need.

All the student body is asking for is a compromise. Students need an opportunity for the Union to meet formally with the administration and discuss their options. The University administration must listen attentively to the words of its students and remain open to work together on this special project.

While there are reasons to be wary of an altogether abolished Guest Policy, students require a degree of freedom currently unavailable to them. With greater freedom comes greater responsibility, and a relaxed Guest Policy would make students stronger while showing them an experience closer to the “real world.” The administration and Union must be able to continue this “work in progress,” to build the bonds between the two groups and develop trust between students and administrators.