STAFF EDIT: Premature Choice

Student Activities Office Director Carolyn Norris claimed BU Free President Ethan Clay needed to step down as Student Union senator because of a “conflict of interest.” In doing so, Norris made an unreasonable judgment on his character.

According to Clay, Norris asked him to choose between his position as senator for Myles Standish Hall and his presidency of BU Free, a group dedicated to amending the Guest Policy. Norris suggested Clay could not fairly represent his Myles constituents while also fulfilling his commitment to BU Free. In this particular case, Norris did not give Clay a chance to prove himself in both positions simultaneously.

Instead of making the decision right away, Norris should have discussed her concerns with Clay prior to a ruling. Clay deserved the opportunity to show Norris and the BU community his ability to manage two demanding positions with a respectable and upfront professionalism.

Furthermore, who is to say this will not happen again in the future, as these situations are to be decided on a case-by-case basis?

Oftentimes, the people most interested in getting involved with organizations and government on the BU campus are highly motivated students willing to put in a substantial time commitment. It is really a shame to restrict a student’s eagerness to get involved and make a difference in the University.

When such willingness is restricted, the passion of these organizations may be lost. If ambitious students may not dedicate themselves to a group, students less dedicated to their causes could replace them, and the groups will ultimately suffer.

Norris’ job is to oversee the Student Activities Office and put an end to any conflicts of interest that may arise. However, to ask a student to step down from one of the organizations to which he or she is devoted is wrong. The evidence of an actual conflict of interest was lacking, and consequently, the Union lost a faithful senator.